Untanglit

Default PC Remote alternative

Im looking to use something like RAP to access inside workstations using RDP. I like how small business server does this but I have a few clients who zdont need a full sbs server. I'd like to use Remote PC or something like it but being that's it's EOL and no support for newer versions of java, are there any alternatives to this task?

Untangle Ninja

OpenVPN and then just RDP to the TS or Workstation.

(start -> Run "MSTSC")

Untanglit

That's what I figured. Just wanted something a bit more dumby proof for the clients. Thanks for the quick response.

The BEST, very best, absolutely best remote support application is Teamviewer. Why? its incredibly FAST, its complete, it does everything you may want to do much better than any other remote support application pretending to be a remote support application.

You do need to read the manual to properly understand how to install and properly exploit the application.

Although Teamviewer is billed as a Remote Access and Support over the Internet application --- Teamviewer does a wonderful job on your local subnets without accessing the Internet --- but you do need to read how to in the manual linked above.

i find RDC to be fast and right now i am in Toronto Canada and i am remoting into Costa Rica, my mouse clicks are pretty instant as well as moving around windows.
    kv-2 | UT 11.0.1 | Dell R610 Server | Intel Xeon 2.8Ghz Quad Cores | 24Gb DDR3 ECC | 1 Intel QPort NIC | Integrated Broadcom QP | Dell Perc 4i | 6 x 73G 2.5 15k SAS raid 10 | 100mb/100mb | 30mb/30Mb

Quote Originally Posted by mozerd View Post
    The BEST, very best, absolutely best remote support application is Teamviewer. Why? its incredibly FAST, its complete, it does everything you may want to do much better than any other remote support application pretending to be a remote support application.
    TeamViewer is pretty good, I've logged a lot of hours with it. However, "the best"...I wouldn't say that....in my experience in trying out many..many..many others, there are quite a few which I'd consider equal. I've tried "most" of the ones in the following list that I've made over in our Speedguide forums...
    http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=271403

Of note for those of us in the IT profession, TeamViewer is not "free" for commercial support use, nor business use, even though it's loosely based on *VNC. It's only free for personal and home use. You'll find that their price for commercial/business use is a bit up there. You'll find after XXX amount of hours of use, it'll start knocking you offline after a few minutes with the exceptional use warning. Yes there are tricks out there to change how it tracks your MAC address...but if you're in the IT profession, workarounds for licenses shouldn't be how you do things, IMO that's like a cop endorsing drunk drivers.

Hence the reason I started that linked thread...as you can build yourself quite a few other *VNC based remote support boxes that work great, such as the more affordable EchoVNC, and legal for commercial use free ones like ChunkVNC or VNCPCHelp.

If you have the budget...Bomgar....oh my gosh is that responsive, it's a hardware appliance. If you want to see smooth...fast remote support that blows away any VNC based flavor...and rivals RDP responsiveness....Bomgar is awesome, however...there's a comma in the price tag with the smallest appliance.

All that said, I do wish PCRemote was continued....as I found it to be a great alternative to clients that do remote work from home, an easier way to get to their workstations....quite similar to the Remote Web Workplace portal of Microsofts Small Business Server. Remote access is huge in SMB, big demand for it.
    Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 08-31-2010 at 07:01 AM.