Default IMAP ability at all?

I host my email on godaddy server. IMAP down, SMTP up.

This question I assume also applies to spam protection, phish blocker, anti-virus and any email based module in untangle.

Is there a way to have these modules work with remote hosted email server using IMAP, or do I have to host locally using a server that has SMTP input for it to work?

I read the wiki and although this I'm sure is a very basic question, I don't understand the answer.

Only SMTP (port 25) is scanned using Untangle. Most IMAP is IMAPS (encrypted IMAP) today so it is not possible to scan anyways without something like SSL Inspector anyways.
    Last edited by jcoffin; 02-20-2020 at 10:54 AM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Yeah, the fix for crappy Godaddy mail... is to not use crappy Godaddy mail.

I do feel your pain, because I have clients that just refuse to give that old junk up.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Yeah, the fix for crappy Godaddy mail... is to not use crappy Godaddy mail.

I do feel your pain, because I have clients that just refuse to give that old junk up.
    Iím open to suggestions.

I donít like gmail/yahoo/etc due to big brother. Iíve read setting up a DIY mail server will be a security nightmare and likely get black listed. From what I understand from above, unless Iím running my own mail server locally, Untangled isnít going to help me with any of the SMTP/mail based apps.

Quote Originally Posted by pprior View Post
    I’m open to suggestions.

I don’t like gmail/yahoo/etc due to big brother. I’ve read setting up a DIY mail server will be a security nightmare and likely get black listed. From what I understand from above, unless I’m running my own mail server locally, Untangled isn’t going to help me with any of the SMTP/mail based apps.
    That is correct. Untangle's anti-spam technology must be deployed between the mail server and the world. And you're right, the likelyhood of getting black listed is very high. Deploying and operating your own mail server isn't a light undertaking. I've done it... but I use O365 now for a ton of reasons.

And no, I'm not worried about "big brother", because he's a shield as much as a risk. And in the case of O365, I have my own partition with my stuff in it, subject to my policies. This is one arena where Microsoft does far better than the rest.

Godaddy's POP3/IMAP platform has been breached so many times all the password resets in the world can't save many mailboxes. So why are you more concerned about Google sniffing some secrets, but apparently not so concerned about some random hacker doing the same? Again... operating a mail server is a TON more than just installing services and configuring it, you need to engineer its reality. If you're up to the task, knock yourself out. But to be blunt, you've got far larger issues than a spam problem.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    That is correct. Untangle's anti-spam technology must be deployed between the mail server and the world. And you're right, the likelyhood of getting black listed is very high. Deploying and operating your own mail server isn't a light undertaking. I've done it... but I use O365 now for a ton of reasons.

And no, I'm not worried about "big brother", because he's a shield as much as a risk. And in the case of O365, I have my own partition with my stuff in it, subject to my policies. This is one arena where Microsoft does far better than the rest.

Godaddy's POP3/IMAP platform has been breached so many times all the password resets in the world can't save many mailboxes. So why are you more concerned about Google sniffing some secrets, but apparently not so concerned about some random hacker doing the same? Again... operating a mail server is a TON more than just installing services and configuring it, you need to engineer its reality. If you're up to the task, knock yourself out. But to be blunt, you've got far larger issues than a spam problem.
    I had no idea Godaddy's platform was a security issue, I've used them for probably 20 years for domain and email hosting, just on autopilot.

I do not think I have the chops to run my own email server, I've read as you note it's complicated and fraught with security issues, hence the reason I'm not doing it nor have any plans to (although I did read about the Helm device which I considered but it wouldn't interface with Untangle either).

I guess I need to research changing my email provider - I've got my own domain and prefer to keep it that way rather than some items#425@gmail type address. I understand now nothing I do unless I run my own server will utilize Untangle's plugins for SMTP which is a bummer to me as I had hoped to integrate the phishing protection primarily for my wife (godaddy does pretty well with spam I get very little).

Quote Originally Posted by pprior View Post
    I had no idea Godaddy's platform was a security issue, I've used them for probably 20 years for domain and email hosting, just on autopilot.

I do not think I have the chops to run my own email server, I've read as you note it's complicated and fraught with security issues, hence the reason I'm not doing it nor have any plans to (although I did read about the Helm device which I considered but it wouldn't interface with Untangle either).

I guess I need to research changing my email provider - I've got my own domain and prefer to keep it that way rather than some items#425@gmail type address. I understand now nothing I do unless I run my own server will utilize Untangle's plugins for SMTP which is a bummer to me as I had hoped to integrate the phishing protection primarily for my wife (godaddy does pretty well with spam I get very little).
    As I said before I've got clients still in that nightmare, and I have to reset passwords on some mailboxes near weekly. I've proven someone has access to their shared web hosting platform as well... continual defacement and issues for some accounts. I only trust them for registrar and DNS anymore.

If you want a quick and dirty email only service, honestly I'd go with O365's Exchange Online Plan 1, it's $4/month/user. $5 gets you Office 365 Business Essentials, which tacks on all the cloud O365 services for that user, which includes Onedrive, which when integrated into Windows 10 provides a BUCKET of protection against ransomware. Well worth the $12 / year. I'm not a huge fan of Google, they'll charge you $6 / month / user for far less.

Whatever the heck you do, do NOT buy O365 services via Godaddy. Not unless you like nightmares wrapped up in future hair loss, and topped with heaping scoop of wallet drain.
    NexgenAppliances.com