Default Grant extra web browsing time for users

Hi,

I have a customer who wants to use Untangle at home (w/ Home Pro sub) and grant their kids internet use/time as a reward for good behavior, etc.

I'm trying to come up with a way for the parent to grant 1 hour at a time, etc.

So far the only method I'm seeing for this is to use captive portal with user authentication, and a timeout value of 60 minutes. At that point, throw them back into default rack/policy that blocks everything. The parent would enter creds in the captive portal each time they want to give the kids an extra hour.

I'm also thinking of adding cookie based authentication and MAC tracking, but am not sure how all of those would co-exist/interact. Their kids may be smart enough to change MAC addresses or IPs on their PCs, so I'm probably going to create multiple VLANs mapped to different SSIDs on their AP and have the kids WiFi block everything in default rack, then a policy manager rule to move them to a different policy after they are authenticated. Will the timeout set in the user-based authentication in the Captive Portal be respected by Policy Manager rules? I want to make sure that after 1 hour they are moved back to the default rack.

Any other ideas on how to accomplish this? My concern is the kids are smart and may install a keylogger on their PCs, at which point the integrity of this method is ruined.

This threads could probably exist in 3-4 different forum categories here.

Thanks!

I would use tags with expiration times to accomplish this.

Just setup whatever trigger you want (based on captive portal login?) that adds a tag.
    If you want to gift more time manually just have the admin add a tag
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    If you want to gift more time manually just have the admin add a tag
    I just tried to do this from an iPhone and it was very cumbersome (not a feasible option for the customer). So I guess I can show them how to do this from their PC.

Thanks.

OK. So I think I'm going to do some logic as follows. Please let me know if there are any pitfalls/problems here:
    • Policy Manager Rule - If it is outside of permitted daytime hours, throw to default rack that blocks everything.
    • Policy Manager Rule - If host/session is tagged with "extratime", send to normal web browsing rack.
    • Policy Manager Rule - If username is [authenticated] go to normal web browsing rack.
    • Policy Manager Rule - Everything else goes to default rack that blocks everything.

We will then configure the captive portal to expire logins after 1 hour, and restrict all users to only 1 login per day via the custom pages here:
    https://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/...l#Custom_Pages

Do those custom pages still work with the current version of Untangle? Is that still the best way to limit the number of logins per day?

Parents will add extra time by using the extratime tag with whatever expiration they choose.

So the end result is that the kids get 1 hour of internet use per day, at whatever time they want, unless it is after hours. They can be granted as much additional time as parents choose to give, as long as that time is not after hours.

seems reasonable
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

And those custom pages still work with the current version of Untangle?

Quote Originally Posted by dmor View Post
    And those custom pages still work with the current version of Untangle?
    Yes.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Yes.
    Thanks!