Master Untangler

Default Block Internet Access to the Kids on Certain Times of the Day

I currently already have a policy for the kids. Below is a super-simplified diagram of how devices are identified and sent to the correct target policy, as required.

Question is, what should I do for the Kids rule to apply to a 2nd policy (which blocks their internet, say, using the firewall) with the time-of-day schedule and still get to keep the current "Kids" policy?

The way it works, as far as I can understand, is that you can only apply the schedule on the current "Kids" policy.... which is not what I want. The "Kids" policy is enforced 24x7 (more restrictions in Web Filter). I just want internet access for them to be disabled from 10PM to 7AM everyday.

Use policy manager to direct those PC to a policy which blocks the Internet by time of day. Policy rule would be similar to :

policy time of day.jpg
    jim1985 likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

What would be required in the policy settings to actually block Internet access?

I know how to direct specific devices to specific policies etc, but how should I have a policy set to block Internet? Am I thinking along the correct lines with things like tar pitting?

A simple firewall app (in the special policy) rule will do it. A firewall app rule will no conditions.

block-all.jpg
    jim1985 likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Cheers.

It was more straight forward than I was expecting

Master Untangler

Thanks for the replies.

Let me get this straight, I need to create a 2nd rule to ALSO match the kids' devices (block "D"), like so?

I need to put a schedule on the second policy that has a "Block" action (block "E" in the diagram) and then put this policy ("Kids Block") at a higher priority than the standard "Kids" policy?
    Last edited by oj88; 04-05-2020 at 06:29 PM.

Yep, you create a new rack, that has the settings you want. Then you make policy rules to push selected traffic into that rack. Those rules can have time of day, and user names.

You can also add a user name to a device in the device tab and save, from then on Untangle will assume that device is that user. It makes kid control nice and easy because the rules start with username: kidname.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I would consider taking an inverted approach to this. You might not know all of the devices your kids (or their friends) have access to. Instead of trying to block their devices, you could allow only known good devices. Just a thought.