Default Please help an ignoramus - limiting bandwidth at night

Hi all. I thought I understood how Policy Manager works - watched the video and read the wiki - but clearly I'm doing something wrong.

I'd like to restrict bandwidth via Bandwidth Control after midnight (e.g., midnight to 3AM). I don't mind doing this across all traffic to make it simple.

1. I've created a new independent policy called "Curfew" installing only just one app - Bandwidth Control and save
    2. I created a new rule called "Shut down midnight" activating the Curfew policy at 00:01 to 3:30 and save
    3. I then go to the Bandwidth Control app and specify a low bandwidth (e.g., 500kbps) and save

What happens next is that all traffic is severely slowed, and it looks like the Bandwidth Control is applying suddenly to all traffic. This is incongruous with reports since nothing seems to be applying through the Curfew policy. In fact, I can't get out of this without restoring all settings from a previous back-up - even switching off the Bandwidth Control app doesn't fix it.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Robert

Hi,

If you go through your Bandwidth Control Setup again, you can up your speed and it'll fix your bandwidth issue without having to restore all settings from a backup, somehow it's still applied even if the app is off, that doesn't fix your issue but it might help you out a bit.

It sounds like you've configured bandwidth control correctly, the problem is you configured the wrong one!

Open Policy Manager, create a Policy for "Limited Bandwidth". Make it a child of Default Rack, or whatever your default policy is.

Then, on the rules tab, make a rule that shoves the traffic you want into the new policy. It sounds like you have up until this point correct.

Now... back on the apps tab, click the drop down in the top left, and select your limited bandwidth policy. Click the install apps button, and install Bandwidth Control. This new instance of Bandwidth Control will light up on that policy, all other apps will be there and greyed out. Configure THAT bandwidth control app with the settings to limit things.

Because at this point you have TWO separate instances of bandwidth control. One in your default policy, and another in your new policy. If you made this new policy a child of the default policy all other apps from default will be inherited, that's why they're visible but gray.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Thanks everyone.

Actually, I think I have identified a bug. I am doing all appropriate steps per above, including running Bandwidth Control for just the "Curfew" policy. When I run the Wizard, it appears the bandwidth specified in the wizard applies to ALL instances of Bandwidth Control, not just for the specific policy. As such, all policies are affected even if the policy being adjusted has no active sessions.

As such, any ideas on how to implement such a throttling policy with another app?