Untangler

Question When changing policies, is a momentary disconnect normal?

Hi everyone,

I've been doing a bit of tuning to our policy manager settings recently, and noticed there seems to be a brief interruption when the policy(ies) being enforced changes. For example, when the time-based rule for "Weekly Nighttime restrictions" goes active at 21:30, anyone playing an online game will get disconnected. I'm assuming it's smoothed out by buffers for those streaming a movie or football game and users are able to immediately reconnect. Is this normal behavior? It's more annoying than anything else, just wanted to make sure I didn't break something or misconfigure it while mucking about.

Thanks,
    Ben

Some changes trigger a session reset, others don't. The specifics change over time as Untangle attempts to make management not do all of those things.

But yes, from time to time... you will get your sessions reset. If this didn't happen the new rules wouldn't go into effect until you rebooted Untangle. Which... well Untangle has been to both ends of the spectrum on this trying to find the ideal configuration.

So yeah, that's normal. And if it isn't, I've come to expect it anyway.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Some changes trigger a session reset, others don't. The specifics change over time as Untangle attempts to make management not do all of those things.

But yes, from time to time... you will get your sessions reset. If this didn't happen the new rules wouldn't go into effect until you rebooted Untangle. Which... well Untangle has been to both ends of the spectrum on this trying to find the ideal configuration.

So yeah, that's normal. And if it isn't, I've come to expect it anyway.
    Perfect, thanks for the confirmation Rob! I figure before too long, users will become habituated to it (saving perhaps, my wife ). Since the rule involves firewall settings to block the kids computers and entertainment devices on school nights, resetting sessions to check for which need to be blocked makes perfect sense.

If it becomes too much of an issue for the VIP, I'll play around with administrative controls, like a box of chocolates stashed in my parts closet.