Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    When first introduced the home version was the full version. Support and everything else. It has since degraded due to cost of support and other apps. With the exception of not offering wireguard I think the price is reasonable. Wireguard is another rant. And easily fixable. A reasonable support option would give Untangle a huge advantage other firewalls don't offer. This is only for paid home users.

Support is not only an expense (as seen by bean counters) it also shows the provider the weakness of a product. This leads to improvements in newer versions and documentation. If they pay attention and have the resources to deal with it. From reading this forum and a few others for many years the main issue is the lack of networking knowledge. Certainly not Untangles fault by any means. Compounded by adding home users. This is because Untangle is aiming at organizations that don't have full time IT support. Home users multiply that effect. I have seen very many users ask a few questions and disappear probably to some other solution. Would they have tried a reasonably priced support option? And be a customer still? Who knows?

While ranting on this from a (very?) small business point of view. If someone knows a bit about networking they can get support. They require more support because they don't know how to use Untangle to the fullest effect, So if a problem comes up they have to bring in outside support and basically pay for support twice. Then the IT help tries to switch the small business to whatever product (sonic wall etc) they make more money off of. I have seen this more than a few times.
    I haven't really needed any support for the last 10 years with Untangle maybe a few little things that just took me longer to figure out. BUT i think Untangle Home pro @$150 should have one or 2 free 15-30 min phone calls.
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Quote Originally Posted by dashpuppy View Post
    I haven't really needed any support for the last 10 years with Untangle maybe a few little things that just took me longer to figure out. BUT i think Untangle Home pro @$150 should have one or 2 free 15-30 min phone calls.
    A network engineer costs around $100k / year to have on staff. $80 in salary at least, plus the benefits involved the price can actually go substantially higher... but use $100k for easy math. That's a cost of ~$48 / hr, then Untangle needs to make some money off that, plus enough more to provide for the product you bought for $150 and you want another $50 in labor stuffed in there too?

People need to eat, and brain picking sessions have a cost!

And if you got your support from someone cheaper than that... given what you've displayed on these forums alone personally, you'd not get what you needed!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post

People need to eat, and brain picking sessions have a cost!
    I bet Untangle pays you THOUSANDS every year to support all of us on their forum hey !!
    Started Youtube Channel, Have a question about Untangle Ask me : jason @ jasonslab.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/c/jasonslabvideos << Please like and subscribe, helps me out !!

Untangler

I doubt they pay their partners anything. And seem to undercut them many ways. And as for me I don't get anything either. Well other than being banned a few times for telling truth to power.

I suggest closing this thread.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by donhwyo View Post
    I doubt they pay their partners anything. And seem to undercut them many ways. And as for me I don't get anything either. Well other than being banned a few times for telling truth to power.

I suggest closing this thread.
    My point was he is always on here helping out, but always keeps saying he has mouths to feed. I help lots i get lots of pm's and emails and get nothing from it other than satisfaction knowing i helped someone & maybe even learned something..

My point was he is always on here helping out, but always keeps saying he has mouths to feed. I help lots i get lots of pm's and emails and get nothing from it other than satisfaction knowing i helped someone & maybe even learned something..
    What I do with my time is my business. I am not paid to be on these forums, and the only compensation I get from Untangle is their margin on the subscriptions I service. It's not a huge income, but it is an income.

I invest my time in this community, because it's a worthy investment. That investment benefits me in a small way, but benefits Untangle far more. I'm OK with that, I've always been OK with that. I am however not obligated to invest in anything I don't wish to. I choose to not invest in other individual people. Now you can continue to act entitled to my personal time, but you are not entitled to my time. You can also continue to be silly about it in public, but that says far more about you than it does me.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I help lots i get lots of pm's and emails and get nothing from it other than satisfaction knowing i helped someone & maybe even learned something..
    My point exactly! Nobody but you and one other person gets anything good out of your pm's.

By the way nobody wants hungry kids.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345