Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Is there a way in the new reports to change the time when reports are generated. In the old version, I was able to generate reports once a week. Now it comes in everyday.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post

Is there a final build of Untangle 6.2 that can be downloaded?
    Something will all the updates, up to but not including 7???

-Moe
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/untangle/files/

Just don't use auto-upgrade and it will still download definition updates and such. Don't know how long this is supported.

mdh

I believe that he will have to get update just to get apps in the rack.

Hi,

Same boat here with one of my clients. While having the data available in the GUI is fine for me, the client isn't interested. People were relying on those reports, which are almost useless now... trying to explain to a large autobody why the 'upgrade' killed the reports they liked is very hard :-)

Looking forward to a solution soon I hope!!!

While I agree that the older reports provided greater detail in the .pdf, I rarely looked at them because they were limited to (I think) to the last 5000 incidents. This limitation did not provide the whole picture that I was looking for.

The best way I found to look at the data is through simple sql query (mysql) and this can now be easily done via the importable .csv files now avail. in version 7. What I do like about the upgrade is the ability to view by user via the Gui. For an administrator, we can easily look at our users to see if there are any "red flags" then dive into the database for all the detail we want.

I was disapointed that there are not more options in report generation such as weekly, how much detail to include, etc. Having this feature added would probably satisfy those that need to share the information with interested parties. Also, pie charts are should almost never be used to convey information.

Default Reports Suck

Been a nix guy for about 10 years.
    Used to do all this with Red Hat anyway, but UT gave me a nice quick install and dedicated.

The new reports totally suck.
    Way too generalized.
    Way too GUI!
    Also settings are different, less of them (also sucks)

I am willing to bet the same guys who changed these reports are running Windoze on their main day to day PC's.

Details were good; like 'nix.

Way too Windozey for my taste at this point...

BIG MISTAKE on this upgrade.

Of the 13 machines I have out there.......
    11 updated fine (though I find them as useless as any Winblows server they are there to protect).
    1 had to be completely reinstalled (hey thanks for doing those updates in mid morning Eastern Time despite my settings eh - not the 1st time either).
    1 Hung and had to be rebooted but seemed ok after that.

I am stuck with the UT machines in the field as they are .... I wish I had known they were going in this direction, I would never have used it for any clients.

Back to looking in the server room ==== see.... no hackers in there!!! Man, you are good!

Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
    Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.

Ok while I don't support your sentiment zarteg, that signature has me busting a gut.

Honestly, Untangle's stated mission is to SIMPLIFY network security... so of course it's "windowsy" Windows = Easy. Why do you think the thing is called Untangle? :P

Which incidentally I still picture some poor guy in a server room buried in an avalanche of patch cables to come up with that name..
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Unlike some people in the world who like things to be difficult and complex, I personally think the new reports system is the one the best things to come to Untangle since the move to a browser based platform rather than the Java based system.

All of you people that are hating on the new reports system are probably the same people that lazy to learn how to use Vista and still use XP. Just because they added a GUI does not make it more "Windoesy" which has got to be the dumbest word I have ever heard. So what just because someone adds a GUI to something I automatically puts it a rank with Windows? What about KDE and Gnome to Linux, does that make it more like Windows? If the new reports system bothers all of you people so much, why don't you code your own! You seem to have a lot to say about how it needs to be changed. That is the beauty of open source software, no one is saying you have to use the reports or that you can't change them. So stop complaining already, I for one am freaking tired of it!.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

C'mon guys, let's keep it civil. There has been way too much mud sligning in the forums lately!

Enough of this "new reports suck" or "people who think new reports suck suck". Trying to prove one is more right than the others is not going to provide the Untangle folks with any constructive feedback, which they really need in order to keep improving a fine product.

Reporting is never going to be a one-size-fits-all kind of thing. Make the report straight, someone will want it wavy. Make it wavy, someone else will want it straight. (and please, don't ask me what a wavy report is. Use your fertile imagination...)

If there is one suggestion I dare make to Untangle developers, it is to conceive a reporting engine that users can configure to obtain detailed information, summary information, with or without graphs. The point here is to provide the information and the tools to format any which way the user wants.

All that being said, with all its faults, bugs and limitations, Untangle is among the best products I have tried so far. And the price can't be beaten. Thanks Untangle!

LD

Quote Originally Posted by Louisd View Post
    C'mon guys, let's keep it civil. There has been way too much mud sligning in the forums lately!

Enough of this "new reports suck" or "people who think new reports suck suck". Trying to prove one is more right than the others is not going to provide the Untangle folks with any constructive feedback, which they really need in order to keep improving a fine product.

Reporting is never going to be a one-size-fits-all kind of thing. Make the report straight, someone will want it wavy. Make it wavy, someone else will want it straight. (and please, don't ask me what a wavy report is. Use your fertile imagination...)

If there is one suggestion I dare make to Untangle developers, it is to conceive a reporting engine that users can configure to obtain detailed information, summary information, with or without graphs. The point here is to provide the information and the tools to format any which way the user wants.

All that being said, with all its faults, bugs and limitations, Untangle is among the best products I have tried so far. And the price can't be beaten. Thanks Untangle!

LD
    Thank you for backing me up.
    “Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.” - Linus Torvalds

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast