Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

hs-admin, I'm sure it will be easily trained once we get the details.

The CSV output will provide far more detail than any report, and can trivially be stuffed into Excel for all sorts of fun things.

The old reports only gave you the first 1000 violations anyway... so in your case your evidence may have holes in it with the old reports.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Is there a way to view the CSV output through terminal?

Even though there were holes it was still more info than with the new reports. Although bandwidth and other things that have been included are very nice it would be good to have the option of receiving both formats.
    Last edited by hs-admin; 10-02-2009 at 10:16 PM.

Untanglit

Exclamation

I'm voting to bring back the old style reports and improve them. Why not use the old style report query (I'm assuming the report was built with some type of query tool within UT) and output it to html rather than pdf. And modify the query to request all of the data rather than 1000 lines.
    Tallwood Technology Group

Master Untangler

voted

Guys, let's be real here, we just spent 6 months on this new reporting engine and database schema etc.

I can assure you that we worked as hard as we could to put out the best possible reporting system we could. We realized that some folks weren't going to like it.

So, here's where we are. We aren't going back to the old reporting engine, it was broken in many ways that we had to painfully work around. The new engine is lighter, more robust, and better in many, many ways under the hood.

So here's what we need from you:

1.) Business use cases that aren't be satisfied with the current reports. If possible, let us know what you need to satisfy those use cases.
    2.) Please let us know if you see any reports that don't make sense or could be improved.

File bugs on bugzilla.untangle.com for both issues. I promise you that every bug submission is reviewed regularly by the entire engineering, product marketing, support, and QA teams.

We do appreciate the feedback, I just want to make it clear that we're not going back to the old engine. We'll be happy to extend the new engine! We're even trying to see if we can find time to document the new reporting database tables so that you all can extend it yourself with crystal reports or whatever..
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Master Untangler

I like the new reporting . Bottom Line

But If there would be an option for us to revert back to old like from a menu selecting that would be fantastic but nevertheless i like the way you guys brought the new reporting to us .

Master Untangler

We hear you and are very happy for the effort. The problem here is business work-flow has been created around Untangle. When you have to re-train users, CFO's, CEO's, HR managers how to read reports it's not fun. Especially when you take away functionality (from their perspective). We take the heat.

mdh

I'd like to add my unofficial opinion here. Sometimes the old is better than the new, and sometimes the new is better than the old. When something new comes out, it takes a lot more than a first glance to really evaluate it. You may not like your old <insert favorite dislike here>, but you're used to it you're comfortable with it, and you know how to deal with it. People naturally resist change.

Give the new reports module a legitimate tryout, and as mrunkel said, if it doesn't work for you, give business cases and constructive criticism. Untangle has evolved from new ideas and criticism of both new and old ideas. That will likely continue.

I'm waiting for the script to spew out the raw CSV for everything... Excel and I are going to have some fun.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    I'm waiting for the script to spew out the raw CSV for everything... Excel and I are going to have some fun.
    http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/R...rchive_utility
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast