Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    You aren't getting the old reports back. That is that, end of story, do not pass go, done!

If there is something in the old report that isn't in the new report that you want... post it. Beyond that all this is just a temper tantrum and is unproductive.
    Oh well I guess I didn’t realize how productive it was to say people are having “temper tantrums” about a simple request to bring the old reports back. I personally think that the old reports with new functionality would be a big step in the right direction and help to further expand untangles grip on this market…. Or you can just call me names, maybe that’s a more productive suggestion.

So here is my attempt to help…. Don’t bring the new reports back, just make the new reports exactly like the old reports, no temper tantrum just a request.
    Last edited by 95vr6man; 10-27-2009 at 07:50 AM.

Guys,

1.) All of this is already covered in another thread with a similar title.
    2.) Starting a thread with ..... sucks!! is pretty equivalent to a temper tantrum. Joining in on such a thread isn't much better.
    3.) You're wasting your time posting here. There are a few threads in the feedback section started by dmorris where he is collecting use cases for the new reporting system.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

I would like to see the "untangle" name changed on the reports when you have branding installed.

Quote Originally Posted by abacigaluppi View Post
    I would like to see the "untangle" name changed on the reports when you have branding installed.
    bug filed and fixed in 7.1.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untanglit

Default New Reports

I think the information in the new reports that are e-mailed are useless. I think having top-ten lists are good for overall what's-going-on picture, however, I need to enforce policies and without the feature to see the sites that are logged as "violations" there is little I can do with the information that is provided in the new upgrade.

In one case where I have implemented untangle I have one or more users who are going to sites that are listed as violations but I have no way of knowing who those users are and what sites those are and thus I am at a risk of greater liability of having a policy, knowing there is a violation and am unable to do nothing to do about.

Reports, for some institutions, are more vital then the filters capabilities. In another case the deciding factor for a filter I implemented for a college was the reporting features. For untangle to take a large step in such a crucial aspect of their software causes some suspect of their goals and purposes for what they are trying to accomplish. It's my opinion because the base system--is with honest criticism--does not provide a very thorough filter in comparison to a barracuda or iprism device untangle should put some significant effort into the reporting capabilities.

I need to have drill down capabilities to know what users/systems are going to what sites and what categories those sites are listed in.

bornpilot, have you looked at the online reports?

We are continuing to improve the reporting engine and are incorporating feedback.

With the new engine, the most features are in the online reports, not the emailed summaries.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:

Default Question on server vs. emailed reports

I guess I'm not sure if this argument is about the emailed version or the Reports GUI in general. Are the same statistics from the old Reports available to view in the new Reports GUI? I have used the reports in the past and seemed to like them. I just set up Untangle 7, primarily to document a user violating policy.

Will I be able to view where they(by IP address) are visiting? I would rather know the answer than have to find out tomorrow when the report is generated.

Untangler

Angry Reports

At least you all get reports, I still have to have it send the email and then forward it again to even get the report to show up, I think I am going back to old version, at least I got the report everyday

Quote Originally Posted by Xerczese View Post
    At least you all get reports, I still have to have it send the email and then forward it again to even get the report to show up, I think I am going back to old version, at least I got the report everyday
    What email client are you using?
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:

Untanglit

Default mrunkel

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    bornpilot, have you looked at the online reports?

We are continuing to improve the reporting engine and are incorporating feedback.

With the new engine, the most features are in the online reports, not the emailed summaries.
    I have looked on the online reports and I have to concede they are getting better, and online reports may be what is the solution for many in the untangle world. I would have to say that for the installation I did for the client the managers who views the reports don't have access to login to the untangle box for the reality many of those just don't have the technical know-how to log into untangle and navigate and when given the option to have logon access they declined. I know that training is one of many possibilities to this problem. The reality is that the system was set up for e-mails and with the upgrade that functionality was dropped, so from the aspect of the client they have to take a draconian approach to something that was once common. The aspect of online v. e-mailed reports would not be an issue in this regards if we had fist used online reports.

The issue with online reports, as much better as they are, don't have the functionality that I had with the e-mailed reports in the aspect of a single document or type of accessibility that is ability to find where a specific system/user was doing, since the online reports seems to keep only a limited number, which could be operation error on my part, and in that case I need to learn more about untangle. The second aspect to the distinction is that they could if they needed keep a backup of by achieving the pdf files which they did in this case and it used to clear a false accusation of someone thought to have been getting around the system.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast