Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Where did the nice 6.X reports go?

I know I might sound like I am whining, but what happened to the nice reports we got in untangle 6.X? These new ones either provide too little or way too much data, and everything is by the week. An example of the way too much is the CVS document from WebFilter I get, to import it into a spreadsheet I have to drop the first 75,000 lines or OpenOffice won't take that much data, and I only want the last days anyways.

--------------------------------------------
    Chris Brandstetter
    Network Administrator

Linux and Macs, the perfect combination.

Untangle Ninja

SirLoxElroy,
    If you do a quick search you will find why they change it.

But the short story.
    The reporting in 6.x had a engine that was very hardware heavy and many systems took a dive every night at 00.00.

When they design the new system they went by the input from users.
    To bad that no users had commented about what they like with the old system.

I am sure that Untangle devs are working on give us back some of the old reports but it will take time.

Master Untangler

I have to agree with SirLoxElroy. The new reports (I just upgraded from 7.0.1 to 7.1 last night hoping it would get better) just aren't doing it for me.

The "All Events" tab could use just a little attention to make it much more useful, in my opinion.

First, it's great to have every single event, but can we just have that in the spreadsheet and have the web interface only show events for certain extensions (.htm, .php, .swf, .cfm things like that)? I don't need to know every clear gif and css that every page loads... the web interface seems like a better place to have more top-level data.

Second, it would be great to be able to sort the data by column.

Third, it would be great to be able to chose a date range for the data displayed in the web interface. If it's only going to show 1,000 events, I'd like to be able to pick just a day or maybe two. Especially if it's going to show every single hit from every single web page.

For the record, even though this change seems like a step in the wrong direction, I still think this is the best free product set out there, so I'm grateful for it.

The user aspects of the reports are a bit of a backslide... but the generation system and the DB structure is HUGELY improved. It's now trivial to integrate Untangle with 3rd party reporting systems, and archival processes are now possible.

I'm still waiting on that "premium reporting" module that was thrown out as an idea almost 2 years ago. Perhaps I'll just have to build it myself, a little SQL and some ASP.NET and it would be done.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Hey Sky-Knight, any suggestions on a 3rd party reporting system I could try out? Especially the free kind?

Your own mind? I've got a how to in the how to section on how to enable access to the postgres database. If you know SQL you can query anything you want out of there.
    NexgenAppliances.com

The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, no no, sorry, the answer maybe is implementing syslog. I am testing manageengine event log analyzer. Is free up to 5 host, thus i manage syslog and windows servers events logs (capture, sumarize, reports). But my ears are open to better options.

I'm playing with Nagios and Splunk... nothing that works well enough to write home about yet.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Master Untangler

I'm having a hard time finding your how-to on how to get access to the database... can you point me in the right direction, sky-knight? I can handle SQL queries.

Master Untangler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast