Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

jnettop will show you what's going on but it won't generate reports.

Technically speaking the best way to generate this report is to follow my guide to open the door to the database, and sql out the information you need. Heck that thread I pointed you at has a darn SQL query that will give you daily bandwidth data for the IP Address you input. I've done the work to give you the information, you just need to export to excel and make a report out of it.

And do you hear this Untangle?

FEATURE REQUEST We want an nTop module. The 24 hour delayed reporting isn't cutting it.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

I agree realtime bandwidth monitoring would be really nice, I am working install the super bundle on our network, we have 450 users and the bandwidth monitor would help us a alot

jnettop could do for now, i will check your thread sky, i could get one of our coders to likely create a pretty i interface for me to use to view it also

Untangler

HELL YES FEATURE REQUEST:

Some kind of real time bandwidth monitoring would be nice.

Or at least a Top 10 for websites, users, hosts, protocols.
    You know... a place where i can quickly see who and what's leaching most bandwidth.

Not a daily Top 10, an ever-running Top 10.

ivan, jnettop does exactly that. It's a little odd to get used to, but when you get your brain wrapped around how to read it you can see n people on top. The only limit is how large your screen is.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    ivan, jnettop does exactly that. It's a little odd to get used to, but when you get your brain wrapped around how to read it you can see n people on top. The only limit is how large your screen is.
    thanks, i'll try that.

but its hard to know when the leachers are leaching to start jnettop :/

unless i just run it all day long, but even that way i would have to be constantly looking at the monitor.

i have jnettop open now in a 3rd monitor on my system, so i can look over now and then to see what our usage is, i have nailed 2 people streaming movies sucking up 10mb of bandwidth already.

if someone is leeching alot, you will see it eventually.

It is possible to pull daily usage stats out of the database, but you need to run a SQL query against the report DB manually. I've written the how to to get into the DB, and given you the sql script... the rest is up to you. At least until the Untangle guys fix the report.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Untangle Ninja

If the queries are so simple to do, why hasent this been implemented? UT has spent more time telling people to use jnnetop (which is ok but mostly worthless) then the time it would have taken to add a page with the queries built in.

Lannie

I don't know... I remember the e-mail I sent to Untangle regarding this issue. It was unusually forceful. I need per IP data for billing, I track bandwidth utilization of virtual machines in my hosting rack. The message was basically, I can't expect you to fix this rather massive oversight right now, but I do expect you to tell me what fields in the database have the data I need.

The response was a sql script that was someone's half attempt at solving the problem. Which, while it would normally upset me, it gave me enough information to make some assumptions as to what fields in the database meant what, and confirmed I was on the correct track. After a few days of tinkering I finally had the query I wanted. That entire process is documented in the how to thread I created regarding how to get into the DB.

My guess at this point, is UT engineers are too busy working on fixing the new ad's in the block pages thing to work on anything else. Untangle has always been very one trick pony, in terms of what they put development time on. So it's likely we're simply past the point that they are thinking about the reports module. Therefore, we get to wait until they put it back on the table again.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast