Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Is there a bug for this that can be voted on? I didn't find one.

Quote Originally Posted by datajockeys View Post
    The way the report attachments are sent, OS X Email will download the message (all of the data is there) but it will not show up in the message as an attachment. Stealth reports? :-) Apple has verified this issue. Please take a look at the way the file is being attached so us OS X users can go back into Happy Camper Land.
    I've noticed that if I have UT send them to gmail, and then forward then back to my email, they work fine. Not the solution I'm looking for, but it beats nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
    Is there a bug for this that can be voted on? I didn't find one.
    Please read my post. There is no bug. There is no issue with OS X Mail reading these attachments.

There is an issue with some third party anti-virus programs unpacking the message and repacking it.

Every time we've seen someone complain of this issue it turns out that somewhere along the line some system has disassembled the email and reassembled it. The emails that these folks present to us show MIME encodings that were not created by untangle.

We are unable to reproduce this issue in house with the exception of one workstation that was running a copy of AVG Free. Disabling AVG "fixed" the issue.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

1) There is a bug. Apple and I have verified it. (I being a computer forensic lab).
    2) OS X... no AV here!
    Robert Johnston
    Datajockeys, LLC

1) There is a bug. Apple and I have verified it. (I being a computer forensic lab).
    2) OS X... no AV here!
    I am looking forward to your detailed analysis of the bug then. That would really help us in solving it.

I can do no more. We have looked at this problem and come to the conclusion that it is NOT an untangle issue.

Maybe I'm not being clear. The issue is that something along the line is unpacking the MIME encoded PDFs and repacking them. During this repackaging, the MIME encoding gets mangled and the PDFs aren't seen as attachments by several mail programs.

However, emails sent directly from the untangle without any further processing always open in every email client tried. Always and without fail.

If you could give me some raw email headers w/attachment encodings for example and/or your complete environment (mail server, untangle email settings), we could maybe get to the bottom of this. Since you've been unwilling to do so I really can't do anymore to help.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.

It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look here if you want my advice on how to draw one.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

"Every email client tried"? I am assuming that someone tried Apple OS X and does not have this problem?

The emails arrive on the RackSpace server and the attachments are in tact there. When OS X retrieves the mail form RackSpace (POP3) all of the load comes in, but OS X mail cannot see the attachment. Again... The message and attachment comes in, but the attachment does not show in the OS X mail program.

Apple confirms that the way the PDF is attached to the email is causing this issue on OS X. The attachment is there, just the Mail program does not recognize it because of the way the PDF attached to the mail.
    Robert Johnston
    Datajockeys, LLC

"Every email client tried"? I am assuming that someone tried Apple OS X and does not have this problem?
    Yes. As I stated, Mail on OS X was tested.

The emails arrive on the RackSpace server and the attachments are intact there. When OS X retrieves the mail form RackSpace (POP3) all of the load comes in, but OS X mail cannot see the attachment. Again... The message and attachment comes in, but the attachment does not show in the OS X mail program.
    Please post the raw text headers with mime encoding (just the headers) from a message on the server. How you verify that the attachments are on the server?

Apple confirms that the way the PDF is attached to the email is causing this issue on OS X. The attachment is there, just the Mail program does not recognize it because of the way the PDF attached to the mail.
    I don't doubt that. What I'm saying is that something in between the untangle and the client is mangling those headers. I'm guessing rackspace is doing something to the message.
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:

Ding! Let me stick a mail client on one of my lab machines, like eudora, thunderbird or the like and I will see what happens. Should shed some new light on things. I already turned off any possible spam / virus stuff on the RackSpace end. WIl get back soon with the results.
    Robert Johnston
    Datajockeys, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    Please read my post. There is no bug. There is no issue with OS X Mail reading these attachments.

There is an issue with some third party anti-virus programs unpacking the message and repacking it.

Every time we've seen someone complain of this issue it turns out that somewhere along the line some system has disassembled the email and reassembled it. The emails that these folks present to us show MIME encodings that were not created by untangle.

We are unable to reproduce this issue in house with the exception of one workstation that was running a copy of AVG Free. Disabling AVG "fixed" the issue.
    All I know is that the only factor in my setup that changed from getting attachments, to not getting attachments, was the 6.2-> 7.2 upgrade. my mailserver hasn't changed in years, and my mail client hasn't changed lately.

2) OS X... no AV here!
    It wouldn't surprise me one bit if apple wasn't following the rules

Quote Originally Posted by mrunkel View Post
    Yes. As I stated, Mail on OS X was tested.

Please post the raw text headers with mime encoding (just the headers) from a message on the server. How you verify that the attachments are on the server?
    Subject: New Untangle Weekly Reports Available
    Date: April 14, 2010 1:44:09 AM CDT
    To: Hans Woehlck <hwoehlck@brotherslogic.com>
    Return-Path: <sparky@brotherslogic.com>
    Received: from untangle.example.com ([192.168.0.3]) by mailserver.local (8.14.2/8.14.2) with ESMTP id o3E5m0MA045443 for <hwoehlck@brotherslogic.com>; Wed, 14 Apr 2010 00:48:00 -0500 (CDT) (envelope-from sparky@brotherslogic.com)
    Received: from localhost ([127.0.0.1] helo=localhost.localdomain) by untangle.example.com with esmtp (Exim 4.69) (envelope-from <sparky@brotherslogic.com>) id 1O1wKX-0000ag-SF for hwoehlck@brotherslogic.com; Wed, 14 Apr 2010 01:44:10 -0500
    Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="===============1081831684=="
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Message-Id: <E1O1wKX-0000ag-SF@untangle.example.com>

Does that help?

Need more. Give me until Content-Type: application/pdf; .....
    m.

Big Frickin Disclaimer:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast