Master Untangler

Default Separate machine for the report

I have installed untangle 64Bit on a Quad Core machine, 8GB memory and 250 SATA drive.

The test is working well for the 1500 users connected to it. I think the machine specs is good enough for the number of users.

The only show stopper in this setup is the report. The report module cannot generate its daily report, probably because of too much transactions to process, and thats understandable considering the number of users behind Untangle.

My question is, is there a way in Untangle to to have the report module on a separate box? So that everything that box will do is just to process report?

Or is there any way I can have this machine generate the report daily? Tweaks? Etc?

Thank you very much in advance.

I have Untangle making reports for far larger user counts... so the size isn't the issue.

But to your question, no there is no supported way to offload the reports.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Thank you for the reply Sky.

I would be interested to know your setup on that particular installation, so I will be able to generate reports as well in my box.

Thanks in advance.

Why do you think the machine can't generate reports because of the size of the database. That doesn't seem likely to me since we've re-written the reporting stuff to be much more lightweight.
    m.
    <BR>
    Big Frickin Disclaimer:
    While I'm pretty sure, I can't guarantee that I know what I'm doing. There might be a better way to do this, and this way might actually suck. Make sure you understand the implications of what you're doing before trying to follow these directions.
    <BR>It often helps troubleshooting if you have a good network map. Look <A HREF="http://forums.untangle.com/tip-day/5407-how-draw-network-diagram.html">here</A> if you want my advice on how to draw one. <BR> <B>Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com<B>

There is nothing special to setup, install reports, and they work. As mrunkel indicates since Untangle rebuilt the reports for the new 7.x versions they've just worked. It was the 6.2 reports that would overload the machine and lock it up.

Have you tried letting the reports run? If you have what are they doing to you that makes you think they aren't working?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Sorry if I have confused you guys with the term. But what I meant by not working, is, it's not sending its report on a daily basis.

When the machine starts to process report at midnight, the resources of the machine is at it's lowest and would most of the time, force me to reboot the machine because the network is no longer working, or nobody can access the internet anymore. (The reason why I said, that the logs may be too much for the untangle to process...)

Up until now, this is a problem in my Untangle installation. I only checked daily reports, and yet my Untangle box is unable to process finish the report processing for the day.

I hope I was able to make it clearer, and would appreciate further inputs on this matter.

The big questions is...what nics are you using? What version of UT? What features are you using?