Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default End of automated/PDF reports. Alternatives?

Hello,

UT support has confirmed that the PDF/email reporting engine is being removed in v12, and the "new" engine will be the only one available.

Apparently in the future, in order to see reports, you will have to log in to each device, and run each report separately. Since we manage 12-15 UT units, not having the ability to receive reports and review them quickly is a major issue.

I am looking for alternatives to reports before acknowledging that we will lack any glimpse of automation or central management with the new UT version.

Is anyone using or testing any other way to acquire reports from these units? Any automation you managed to add to them? I believe the SNMP MIB for UT will not be enough (e.g. you won't know who your top users are).

Thank you,

Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by ssologin View Post
    Hello,
    UT support has confirmed that the PDF/email reporting engine is being removed in v12, and the "new" engine will be the only one available.
    This is correct.

Apparently in the future, in order to see reports, you will have to log in to each device, and run each report separately. Since we manage 12-15 UT units, not having the ability to receive reports and review them quickly is a major issue.
    This is not correct. There will be a replacement email reporting using HTML format instead of PDF. Also we are adding an option to send report data to Google Drive automatically. This will be a huge step forward for those needing to keep historical information on network traffic,

I am looking for alternatives to reports before acknowledging that we will lack any glimpse of automation or central management with the new UT version.

Is anyone using or testing any other way to acquire reports from these units? Any automation you managed to add to them? I believe the SNMP MIB for UT will not be enough (e.g. you won't know who your top users are).

Thank you,

Pablo
    Another option, is SNMP telemetry with your favorite SNMP concentrator. http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/SNMP
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

You currently have to log into each unit to see reports.

Reports do not get emailed to you, only the report summaries. The PDFs are not the reports.

In 12.0 report summaries will also be emailed, but they will be much much simpler and not pdf based.
    PDF & Email are not optimal technology for reports. You will get emailed a brief summary with a link to view reports.

If you prefer PDF reports I would just disable upgrades.
    Last edited by dmorris; 01-14-2016 at 10:19 AM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Hello,

Removing the PDF reports from being emailed is a big problem.

For non-technical clients that do not want to learn a new way to receive this information in there inbox is a big problem. The PDF reports for 1 of my clients they are a K thru 8th grade school and do not have on site tech support and have no plans to add such support. They also only use the "free" versions of the apps and have no plains to by a complete package. When I setup there UTFW the PDF reports where one of the biggest selling points to the administration for this school. I understand why Untangle has moved away from PDF's but you kill any future upgrades this clients UTFW can be updated too because the PDF reports have been removed.

Please bring an new and improved way to provide the PDF reports that are emailed.
    Last edited by AWilson; 03-14-2016 at 01:15 PM.

Master Untangler

Not be a a bit of a douche, but um:

1. They're not a paying customer
    2. They won't be a paying customer
    3. Why develop for non-paying customers?

Its not about paying or not paying, although I do think its funny that PDFs were a "selling point" despite the fact that they didn't buy anything. They obviously didn't sell very well.

We can't cling to old technology. People complained about cars switching to fuel injection. Carburetors are so simple and easy to work on and reliable. Why switch?

We can't continue to focus on static reports at the expense of moving forward. There isn't a single reporting infrastructure on any service or product I know of that still uses PDF, because they're static.

If you want to stay with PDF, no problem. Just disable auto-upgrade.

Also, look at the bright side... we stuck with PDF for so much longer than we should have that we entirely missed the flash era. So we don't even need to rip out flash reports and replace it with javascript-based reports!
    Last edited by dmorris; 03-14-2016 at 04:13 PM.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by AWilson View Post
    Hello,

For non-technical clients that do not want to learn a new way to receive this information in there inbox is a big problem. The PDF reports for 1 of my clients they are a K thru 8th grade school and do not have on site tech support and have no plans to add such support. They also only use the "free" versions of the apps and have no plains to by a complete package. When I setup there UTFW the PDF reports where one of the biggest selling points to the administration for this school. I understand why Untangle has moved away from PDF's but you kill any future upgrades this clients UTFW can be updated too because the PDF reports have been removed.

Please bring an new and improved way to provide the PDF reports that are emailed.
    Ah, the only constant is change...

There are so many issues with the PDFs. PDFs are notorious difficult to generate especially in languages with an extended character set. Much of the data was incorrect. What is the point of a report that is wrong? We always provide the option to NOT upgrade.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by AWilson View Post
    Hello,

The new reports engine can be accessed via the same /reports URL that the old reports engine could be accessed with. And honestly, if your users can't click on the reports headers to read the information they wouldn't understand the PDFs anyway.

My only issue is a lack of reports only administrators. I don't want to be handing out full admin access just because an officer needs to read a report.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    My only issue is a lack of reports only administrators. I don't want to be handing out full admin access just because an officer needs to read a report.
    You can configure reports only users in apps > reports > settings > users

Is that new to 12? Because I don't see it on my 11.2.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast