Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    suk
    Untangler

Question What time does the report run?

I have read that the report of the day runs right after midnight the following day. I have stayed up late till 1:45am and checked for the report of the previous day but I didn't find the report. However later at about 6am when I check again, the report of the previous day would be ready. I have checked this for about a week and each time the report of the previous is not available around 1:45am.
    1. Does the report of the previous day run right after midnight, if not, what time does it run?
    2. Is it possible to change the time the report runs?

Thanks.

suk
    Untangler

Question No Untangle Tech has report info?

It's been a week that I requested info about the reports but no one has provided the info. I'm wondering if it is because none of the Untangle Techs knows this kind of info.

The report runs at midnight on the dot. However, it pulls information from all over the place to create and can take some time to complete based on your hardware.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

suk
    Untangler

I'd like to thank Skynight for the reply.

I use the server at home for my network of about 6 machines so I don't leave it running 24/7, I usually shut it down before going to bed. So if I'm up till past midnight then, I would check the reports before shutting it down.
    Well, if the reports run at midnight, then why are they not ready by 1:30am? I have checked, not once or twice but many times around 1:30am when I'm up till then. But the most recent report available has always been, not the one from the day before, but rather the one from 2 days ago. We could assume that the report might still be running around 1:30, however when I run the report manually, it barely takes 10 min to complete, and after it is completed, the previous days report is immediately available.
    Due to the above, I find it strange that my reports from the day before are not ready by 1:30am.
    Last edited by suk; 07-12-2008 at 09:42 AM.

I could be wrong but the thing runs as low priority. The only mechanism you have to make this consistent is to leave the UT server running all night. The report will be there in the morning.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

mdh

suk,

Sometimes I notice slightly slow response around 1:30am when I'm beating up on the internet from home. When I drop into the Untangle box and do a "top" command, I will see that reports are running at that time. I haven't cared enough to see exactly what is going on, but there are a number of PostgreSQL processes running at that time and the box is under a heavier load.

suk
    Untangler

Default I appreciate the responses

Thanks to Sky-Knight and MDH for your responses.

The reason I put out the question: I don't leave the server on 24/7, whatever time I'm going to bed I shut it down, be it before midnight or after. Most of the time I go to bed before midnight. This means the report won't run so if I want to check the previous day's report, I have to manually run it. I'm trying to avoid running it manually, and I figured the only way to have the server run the report on its own is by changing the time it runs. That way, I'll set the time to a period of the day that the server is most likely to be on, which is in the evenings. Unfortunately the responses don't provide any info on whether or not the time the reports run is changeable.

It appears, from the responses I've gotten so far, that I have to continue running the reports manually.
    Once again thanks to everybody who provided some info.

What if you set the timezone on the UT box forward to compensate for the difference in hours? Of course, this would also make the times listed on the report x number of hours off...but in theory the report should run earlier.

suk
    Untangler

Lightbulb Nice suggestion

Goplaycheckers!!!

Thanks for the suggestion, that is a nice one, it never crossed my mind. I'll try it and see what happens, actually I'm in the US Eastern Time zone so I'm going to set the time to GMT+0, which is 4 hours ahead right now but 5 ahead in winter.

Again thanks for the idea.

suk
    Untangler

Thumbs up You made my day!!!

Goplaycheckers!!!

Before going to bed around 10:00pm (2:00am GMT) I checked the reports like I usually do and for the first time, yes the first time, the Sunday report is ready.

You are my problem solver, you made my day!!!
    Thanks a lot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast