Untangler

Default Bandwidth usage reporting

I have UT installed at several client sites, but don't consider myself an advanced user. I learn a lot in these forums, some of which appears to be rather fundamental to many of you. I say that as an apology if my question seems kind of elementary.

I have a client who wants to know who is using a lot of internet bandwidth. Not really concerned with how much traffic they are using on the LAN, but we know a number of users are doing a lot of streaming. The boss's sending out blanket emails asking people to stop doesn't work for long - they just wait until he's out of the office and begin again.

I believe the UT will provide such statistics, but I can't sort out how. I watched a couple of webinars on reporting, but it didn't seem to deal with my specific needs.

Is it possible to report top websites, top internal computers on them, etc?

I am going to keep looking here and in the wiki, but thought someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

- Bandwidth Control / Top Clients (by total bytes) for internal host during the period select in the "since" field.
    /admin/index.do#reports?cat=bandwidth-control&rep=top-clients-(by-total-bytes)

Web Filter / Top Domains (by size) will provide website usage.
    /admin/index.do#reports?cat=web-filter&rep=top-domains-(by-size)

All these reports can be customized for your needs.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Thanks for that, JCOFFIN!
    I guess that's just the nature of internet - a person can't possibly figure out what all that means. Many of the entries are just content delivery services, and you can't really tell what website the user visited that triggered that. Also, lots of Microsoft stuff - hundreds of MB of updates, I'm betting.
    Seems like there's no real way of figuring out who is misbehaving, when much of the traffic is "hidden", in as much as there's no telling how they are generating it.
    I'd be curious to know if anyone else is trying to monitor internet usage, and if they use the UT apps or if they have something else...

I had hoped to generate a daily report to the local office manager, so he could see what evryone was doing. Just one of these reports and he'd tell me not to waste his time...

As more and more traffic goes SSL (HTTPS) and using Content / Caching providers like Cloudflare, it will be almost impossible without SSL interception like SSL Inspector. Even SSL Inspection is limited as company hardware certificates into their products for prevention from MITM attacks.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com