Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Master Untangler

Maybe add a link to the dashboard?
    Synical likes this.

Untangler

So I went digging a bit and tried to pull a report for last month's data usage, setting the Time Range for 2019-09-01 12:00:00 am -> 2019-09-30 11:50:00 pm, and got "No Data!" I don't have any constraints or conditions set - is this something wiped by data retention, or am I missing something obvious?

edit: FWIW, Communist-cast says I used 2697 GB, down from the 3229 GB they claim for August. One day we'll find a provider that doesn't charge $50/mo extra for unlimited data!
    Last edited by Synical; 10-08-2019 at 08:00 PM. Reason: added Comcast info

Just here to point out that charging more for additional use is a very CAPITALIST thing to do, not Communist.

Communist ISPs wouldn't "charge" you a thing, because we'd all be paying taxes to run the network. Which is a great way to say we'd all have the same bill, regardless of use. (Not supporting this idea by the way, but words do have meaning)

As for your reports question, have you checked your retention setting? It's 7 days by default, and you can't very well pull a month's worth of data without having 30 days worth in the database. Before you increase it though, confirm how many days you're set to now, and use the dashboard widget to see how much drive space you're using. Divide that drive space, by the number of days and you'll have a loose idea of how much storage you need per day, using that against your drive capacity will tell you if your drive is large enough.

After all, you don't want to go increasing retention only to run out of drive space, Untangle is database driven, and databases don't like 0 bytes free, it's a quick trip to broken Untangle and reinstall land, probably when you're getting ready to do something important.
    f1assistance likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Just here to point out that charging more for additional use is a very CAPITALIST thing to do, not Communist.

Communist ISPs wouldn't "charge" you a thing, because we'd all be paying taxes to run the network. Which is a great way to say we'd all have the same bill, regardless of use. (Not supporting this idea by the way, but words do have meaning)

As for your reports question, have you checked your retention setting? It's 7 days by default, and you can't very well pull a month's worth of data without having 30 days worth in the database. Before you increase it though, confirm how many days you're set to now, and use the dashboard widget to see how much drive space you're using. Divide that drive space, by the number of days and you'll have a loose idea of how much storage you need per day, using that against your drive capacity will tell you if your drive is large enough.

After all, you don't want to go increasing retention only to run out of drive space, Untangle is database driven, and databases don't like 0 bytes free, it's a quick trip to broken Untangle and reinstall land, probably when you're getting ready to do something important.
    Thanks Rob - That's my moniker for Comcast, because trying to get any info on how they "measure" data usage is extremely difficult. They're supposedly having issues with their data monitoring right now, to the point where they've started issuing credits (and in some cases, manually updating data settings to lower than what folks with pfSense & Untangle are reporting as actual usage). I'm starting to get worried that Comcast may not have full control over their infrastructure, if you know what I mean. Especially since they've starting referring forum complaints to their security team...
    I'm currently only using 12% disk space, though I noticed memory usage has crept up a bit since the latest update. Worse case, I've got some extra SSDs in my spare parts drawer and I'll just pop another one into the case.

1 TB data caps are still the debil - I know I'm a bit of a data hog, but heck- I work for a tech company, usually from home 3-4 days a week, got my work laptop and personal desktop in early release programs for work, along with Beta and Delta rings for the two XBox One X's, and Delta ring for the XBox One S. Phone and TV is via streaming, too. I can't wait until the regional telco gets to our neighborhood - they're offering 1GB up/down (yep, symmetrical!) service for half of what I'm currently paying Comcast for 500 Mbps service, with no data cap. Until then though, our area has little alternative (CenturyLink DSL that tops at out 15 Mbps on our street, or Frontier at 44 Mbps for $45/mo), and Comcast knows it - easy enough to identify those neighborhoods when you look at their rate card. :P

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12