Untanglit

Default Report Question (how to)

I love the product, we are still testing, but its taking 12,000 email down to around 300.

My question, is there a way to report the 'good' mail, we want to see out of what gets by is good or bad. (the real test)

- I see the event log, but can I export that or get a report?

mdh

Untangle Reports provided detailed reports, but with regard to specific emails, it reports only on spam and phishing attempts. It does not report on legitimate email. As far as the first part of your post goes, I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you're asking. Maybe you could try again with different words?

Untanglit

The comment was: I get 12000 emails in 24 hours
    Untangle stops 11700 (as spam)
    It reports 300 good email.

(yea! great product)

But I need a way to check how many of the 300 good emails are really spam that was missed. (so I can adjust settings etc)

My end users say 'I got spam today' they might say 'its less then before but I'm still getting it.'

Yeah, I see what your talking about. My suggestion would be to have them forward the SPAM that they receive, to an account you setup on your mail server. That would be the best you could do for reporting purposes.

Master Untangler

Will we be able to customize the reports in later builds? That would be really nice.

mdh

Loaded question: Can you define "customize reports"?

A little bit of detail here gives the developers a better idea of what people are looking for in the reports, and allows them to brainstorm, prioritize, strategize. etc...

Master Untangler

I would have to say that customized reports would be a set of tools that would let us make the reports to how we want/need to see a report. Like even a simple thing of "do you want all the details in this report" might be a start, but I'm thinking that it can go deeper then that and give total control of the reports. People can customize reports (either directly edit with code or an editor) then upload templates for others to use.

mdh

schickb,

I agree with amac that setting up a specific email address to be a destination for spam that did get through allows you to study it a bit more in depth. It also lets you see if one person's idea of spam is the same as another's. Its not always black and white. A word of caution about adjusting thresholds though...making it more restrictive may catch more spam, but may also make a legitimate email be recategorized as spam.

I also have a comment about the technology...I belong to a few mailing lists that are hosted by one of "the big boys." I use 2 different web mail applications that are provided by "the big boys" too. If I make a posting to the list, everything is fine. If I respond to a posting using their own webmail program, their advertising at the bottom of the email (which presumably pays for the service) causes my legitimate emails to get categorized as spam almost 50% of the time. Its a delicate (and sometimes silly) balance.

mdh

MoreDakka,

Thanks for following up with some detail. Its obvious that Untangle was designed to keep you in control of your network. At the same time, managers like metrics, and they look to reports for that. Every idea (well, almost every idea) is worth hearing about, and some are worth investing in. Thanks for providing some ideas!