Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Report Problems

mdh

localrich ... look for a PM from me

mdh

localrich,

I sent you a PM with detailed info in response to your email. I was trying to figure out why I received that report (Friday was eons ago in my mind!), then it made sense! The PDF attachment was clearly showing up in my email, and I could launch it with no problem. Specific details are in the PM I just sent you.

I found this Google link which I was basing my request (and educated guess) on:

http://www.developerfood.com/missing...d/article.aspx

In a nutshell, the link (from Microsoft via this forum) says that there is a bug (a.k.a. undocumented feature) in Exchange 2007 affecting Outlook 2003 users, where PDF attachments may or may not show up in an email for a user who is using HTML mode. Their workaround is to use plain text mode. The attachment shows up clearly if the email with the missing attachment is replied to or forwarded to another party. I was hoping it would show up in your forwarded email, and it did.

The forum post says it does not affect Exchange 2007/Outlook 2007 users. If that's true, then you have something else going on there as well. I don't know whether this issue can be clearly defined as an Exchange issue or an Outlook issue (I wish I could). I'm wondering if the reports that are being sent (as an HTML document with a PDF attachment/link) may contribute to the issue. Maybe someone in Engineering with plenty of available time would know (and maybe I'll be elected pope before they have plenty of time ).

You might try forwarding it to yourself to see if you can recursively confuse the beast and make it show you the attachment.

Untangler

Well that's interesting, but here is another twist. see attached jpg

Now it did not click on anything simply viewed the email in the preview pane and the attachment now shows in outlook. I tried forwarding the mail to my self nothing attached. Also just FYI we get PDF's emailed all day from the copier to us and have never ran into this.

Gotta love these undocumented features from M$
    Last edited by localrich; 10-15-2007 at 10:18 AM. Reason: whiteout JPG :)

mdh

Weird things happen anytime the Red Sox make the playoffs.

Is the copier sending a message in HTML or plain text? Have you put your Outlook into plain text mode yet to see if you can get any kind of consistency that way? If its a true Exchange issue, its likely that it won't be fixed until SP2...that usually has all the fixes for the product and the damage that SP1 causes.

Untangler

The new three send them in HTML the old one sends them in plain text...

I'm going to see if I change the user Untangle is authenticating with makes a difference.

Should I VM up an ex03 box and create a user there to verify it is EX07?

mdh

You have a distinct advantage in that you know what you're thinking when you save a few keystrokes. Are you asking whether you should put an Exchange'03 box up to see if it has the problem as well? If so, yes you could try that. The description of the bug does not mention Ex'03, and does say "When a new message arrives from a certain sender..." without specifying what makes "that certain sender" different that others. That sure don't help narrow it down any!

If you want to try, go ahead. I'm just not sure whether its of value or not.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    You have a distinct advantage in that you know what you're thinking when you save a few keystrokes. Are you asking whether you should put an Exchange'03 box up to see if it has the problem as well? If so, yes you could try that. The description of the bug does not mention Ex'03, and does say "When a new message arrives from a certain sender..." without specifying what makes "that certain sender" different that others. That sure don't help narrow it down any!

If you want to try, go ahead. I'm just not sure whether its of value or not.
    All right I'll stop being lazy

Yes what I am asking is do you think it would help to make sure it is an exchange 2007 problem by installing a exchange 2003 server either moving my mailbox, or creating a new user on exchange 2003 to receive the report.

I've already started the process but I've been side lined by a vpn issue look for another thread coming soon lol

*sweet* vpn threads are my favorite
    Keep us updated on the exchange 2003 switch over. I am very interested.

mdh

localrich ... I looked through a lot of Google posts on the issue you reported, and I could only find references to Exchange 2007 with Outlook 2003. Nothing on Exchange 2003 at all. As a matter of fact, the post I sent to you specifically said that Exchange 2007/Outlook 2007 was okay. Your results say otherwise, so there may be a second issue just with the 2007 versions. If you have time and want to try loading up Exchange 2003, it wouldn't hurt to know for sure. That would also bring up other questions though...ESMTP vs. SMTP, cache mode, who knows what else.

Untangler

So it's definitely an exchange 2007 issue the email came through fine on exchange 2003.

Both outlooks (03/07) were set to cached mode on both exchange servers (03/07)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast