Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Total Monthly Bandwidth Usage

Hi, I have recently been faced with a 250gb monthly cap by my ISP and was wondering if there is a way to tease out a monthly total of usage rather than the given daily, weekly, monthly average available in the reports?

is your isp comcrap by chance?..

Untanglit

Im running UT on Windoze XP and its great. I also have ComCrap and have a monthly bandwidth limit. I have been using Wallwatcher to monitor bandwidth, but ever since UT started, WW is unable to get the smnp traps from the router. The Test from WW reports all is ok.

I thought internally, UT just forwarded all traffic to the actual router and only inercepted packets destined outside? Do I have to make any other changes to UT to allow WW to get the WAN routers bandwidth stats?

Get a business account. There are no bandwidth limits on commercial accounts. I have a 16Mbps down and 2Mbps up connection with a static IP for $100 a month. Their basic package is still like $60 a month for business, which is 8Mbps down and 768Mbps up, less the static IP. That will cost you extra.
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Quote Originally Posted by itc_sburnett View Post
    Im running UT on Windoze XP and its great. I also have ComCrap and have a monthly bandwidth limit. I have been using Wallwatcher to monitor bandwidth, but ever since UT started, WW is unable to get the smnp traps from the router. The Test from WW reports all is ok.

I thought internally, UT just forwarded all traffic to the actual router and only inercepted packets destined outside? Do I have to make any other changes to UT to allow WW to get the WAN routers bandwidth stats?
    can the machine doing the monitoring ping the gateway?
    where is this machine?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Comcast is supposedly releasing their own bandwidth monitor which will tell you your monthly usage. You will access it from within your Comcast control panel on Comcast.net.

I've heard people say that Comcast won't let you upgrade to a Biz account if your trying to do it at an obvious residential location. Is that true?

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    can the machine doing the monitoring ping the gateway?
    where is this machine?
    well, as I am running re-router, I can only guess it is "behind" the UT box. Yes it can ping the router 192.168.1.1 but again, as far as i can tell, re-router technology spoofs the MAC address of the router. I havent gone as far as using wireshark to determine exactly who is replying to the pings. I do know if I attempt to access the webgui on the router, it gets to the correct box, so it seems that the UT re-router is passing that request to the right MAC address.

I see UT also has SNMP which I havent turned on. Would that be an easier solution? I assume the MIB's are standard

They may make you set up a seperate account for the 'business' line. We have Charter where I am, and for various reasons I required a business account. They made me set up a completely seperate account for the data, apart from my residence.
    This caused some confusion on the billing (and eventual disconnect), but overall it worked fairly well.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by PROACTIVENS View Post
    Get a business account. There are no bandwidth limits on commercial accounts. I have a 16Mbps down and 2Mbps up connection with a static IP for $100 a month. Their basic package is still like $60 a month for business, which is 8Mbps down and 768Mbps up, less the static IP. That will cost you extra.
    Mine is 16 and 5 and about to be bumped to 50 and 10 but I pay $169 a month.

Wow, your getting ripped for the 16 - 5 service. Correction, I do have 5 up, but I am paying alot less. How many IP's do you have?
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast