Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Untangler

Thanks, Jim. Still waiting on business internet quotes. I definitely get what you're saying. If I end up going that route, routing between the interfaces would be the simpler and cleaner approach. That could very well be the end state.

That being said, I'm going to put it all to the test and have some fun in the process. I'll definitely be sure to provide updates and any lessons learned.

One last minute change is that I went with Bodhi Linux as the host. It's very lightweight and based on the latest Ubuntu LTS, so knowing it's at the front end of the support cycle is a plus.

The host is up and running and hardware is installed. Next up will be to create bonded interfaces within linux. From what I've read, Virtualbox will see the pairs as single interfaces, which will carry over to Untangle.

More to come!
    Jim.Alles likes this.

Untangler

Success! I'm up and passing traffic. Just sd-wan for now. Took forever but I had to create a lan interface on the same subnet as the host vbox, then bridge them together and voila! I have nothing connected to the nic but I guess doing so made the .1 for the web page accessible. More to come!

Untangler

So, here's where I'm at. After several self-inflicted deaths by papercut, I am finally ready to get this puppy into homelab production. Some changes and best practices:

1. Got both up and running on vbox, but wanted to try on a type 1 hypervisor.

2. Currently using Hyper-V for both SD-WAN Router and NGFW - I lost DAYS thinking I needed a license to run SD-WAN in Hyper-V. Turns out, I was using the wrong file!!! The VHD/VHDX HAS TO BE CREATED from the .VDI on the wiki, NOT the VDI in Command Center. Had I realized this sooner, this might be running on ESXI or Proxmox, but the Server 2019 System Builder license was $12 bucks and here we are.

3. DO NOT USE legacy network adapters. I guess unlike standard OpenWRT, SD-WAN has driver support for several adapters.

4. Create an internal virtual switch named "Host" or "Management" or whatever you want. In the Windows network control center, change the Host/Management vEthernet IPv4 address to 192.168.1.2.

5. When you create the SD-WAN vm, assign the first interface to that switch. (Not 100% sure if this matters but I've noticed some installs show dummy interfaces and ifb4Eth1 interfaces when I pull an IFCONFIG. Not sure if those should be there but it still works)

6. In my case, one of the WAN interfaces is via a cable modem and the only way it works is if I manually assign the MAC in the adapter's "advanced features" within the vm settings.

7. SR-IOV - Not sure about this yet. Need to do more testing. The times the system did dot work may have been related to a misconfiguration elsewhere.

8. Other than a static MAC for my WAN1 interface, all other settings for all interfaces are default and MAC spoofing is disabled. More testing to follow.

Once I put this in my home network, I plan to get another machine going and will use other platforms, such as ESXi, Proxmox, etc. to see which performs best. I also have the vbox configuration down to a science now and will compare as well. Who knows, maybe I'll put together a comprehensive guide when all is said and done.

Untangler

Well, it was up and running just fine. Several sessions stopped and started. Shortly after posting the response above, it shows not licensed again. The only difference was that I moved it from the office to it's final destination and instead of the WAN connecting at 10M, it connects at a gig. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clectech View Post
    it shows not licensed again.
    What platform is it running on?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Hyper-V. But I used the same vdi file as what I had running in vbox and it showed as unlimited. The sdwan_x64.vdi or something like that, as opposed to the one with the long file name. I converted it to vhd and it ran for quite a while. I shut it down and back up and was all good. Then I moved it and it said no license. Every other file I tried up to that point showed as unlicensed, but the vbox one did not. Until now.
    Last edited by Clectech; 09-07-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Hyper-V is not Virtual Box so a license is required. Unlicensed is limited to 10Mbps

Untangler

Thanks. Makes sense. So, is that also the case if running vdi on vbox?

The file used is not important to the license checker, just the platform.

Untangler

Got it. It's all working on vbox now. I'll just need to harden it so I can leave the house without getting tech support calls from my kids when the power goes out, lol.

I'm happy that I was able to get it working on hyper v. It was a cool experience. Maybe I'll buy a license someday. I'm going to put in a suggestion for a home use/single location license. I'd totally pay like 250-300 for it, but 800 would cause spousal turbulence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast