Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default SpamAssassin Coach

Has anyone used this plugin (Outlook / Thunderbird) for reporting SPAM/HAM?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/soc2006spamd/

It requires SPAMD to be run with the allow-tell switch. Is this already set up in Untangle? If not, would it be possible to adjust the settings to allow this plugin to work. It would awesome if users could highlight a message and report it as spam directly from Outlook.

Untanglit

You'll have to copy and paste the URL in your browser. It wouldn't let me put a link since I don't have 5 posts.

fixed

nice find! looks very cool.
    how exactly does it communite? to spamd directly?
    where are the docs?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

This would be a nice add-on if it added to the blacklist or spam list. My users would love the option to mark the few pieces of spam that get through.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    fixed

nice find! looks very cool.
    how exactly does it communite? to spamd directly?
    where are the docs?
    Not sure about the docs. I just found this a few minutes ago. I did find this post:

Note that in order for spamd to accecpt input from these two plugins, it must be running with the "-l, --allow-tell" switch.

The description of what this does is below (from h ttp//spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.1.x/dist/doc/spamd.html ).

"-l, --allow-tell
    Allow learning and forgetting (to a local Bayes database), reporting and revoking (to a remote database) by spamd. The client issues a TELL command to tell what type of message is being processed and whether local (learn/forget) or remote (report/revoke) databases should be updated.
    Note that spamd always trusts the username passed in (unless --auth-ident is used) so clients could maliciously learn messages for other users. (This is not ususally a concern with an SQL Bayes store as users will typically have read-write access directly to the database, and can also use sa-learn with the -u option to achieve the same result.)"

In addition your probably need to set up the "-A host,..., --allowed-ips=host,..." option:

"-A host,..., --allowed-ips=host,...
    Specify a list of authorized hosts or networks which can connect to this spamd instance. Single IP addresses can be given, ranges of IP addresses in address/masklength CIDR format, or ranges of IP addresses by listing 3 or less octets with a trailing dot. Hostnames are not supported, only IP addresses. This option can be specified multiple times, or can take a list of addresses separated by commas. Examples:
    -A 10.11.12.13 -- only allow connections from 10.11.12.13.
    -A 10.11.12.13,10.11.12.14 -- only allow connections from 10.11.12.13 and 10.11.12.14.
    -A 10.200.300.0/24 -- allow connections from any machine in the range 10.200.300.*.
    -A 10. -- allow connections from any machine in the range 10.*.*.*.
    By default, connections are only accepted from localhost [127.0.0.1]."

I have not yet figured out how to tell if SA has actually received and learned the message.
    I would think it would be relatively simple (although I'm no linux ninja) to write a script that would set the switch with appropriate settings. What would be great is if this were added to a config page to turn it on and set the ip range for allowed updaters.

The plugin is small and looks to be quite simple. I'll post a couple pics of the options form and the toolbar button in a minute.

Untanglit

Useless post to reach #5.

Untanglit

Here's what the plugin looks like and the options form. Apparently the username is optional.

Either in the Spam Blocker settings or on one of the config pages you could have a checkbox to turn on the appropriate switches/settings for SPAMD to allow it to connect, an IP address range for allowed connections, and a display box to show hostname/port to put into the options.

Untanglit

So, can anyone give me a little help with setting up the SPAMD switch on my untangle server?

Untangle Ninja

Here are a sample setup on a debian system.
    http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/spam.htm

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by WebFooL View Post
    Here are a sample setup on a debian system.
    http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/spam.htm
    I saw that, but it doesn't appear, to me at least, that SPAMD is being used. There is no etc/init.d/spamd, just etc/init.d/spamassassin. Also, running the ps -aux | grep spamd returned an error.

I took a look at the options in etc/default/spamassassin, but I'm not sure if the -1, --allow-tell and -A 192.168.1.0/24 switches will work there or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast