Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation 0 traffic through spamblocker

Hello UT world, I am an administrator in a school system. I've had a really hard time managing spam, thus the implementation of UT. Install was seamless. Configuration easy as well. However, it seems there is no traffic flowing through SpamBlocker. The reports give me same information. 0 trraffic!! No spam is being detected. I do see some activity for req's and acc's, but no other information at all. This is UT ver. 51. I have checked my internal and external nic's. Checks good. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Chazmo

Hey, welcome to the forums!
    Is Untangle in bridge mode or router mode?
    If it is in router mode, are the redirects for NAT working at all or just not with the mail?
    Do you have the firewall module turned on and blocking traffic?

Welcome to the forums. Could you briefly describe your network? Is the Untangle on a VM or standalone. Where is the Untangle installed?
    to be understood, you must first understand. :)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

UT is in bridge mode. I am currently trying to use UT solely for spamblocking. As we progress, further implementations will initiated. Baby steps
    SpamBlocker and report viewer are the only 2 trays loaded, no router or phish or anything else.
    internet comes through my cysco router and hits the rest of my network except the mail server. path to server is Cysco router, hub/switch, UT, MailServer.
    I've been reading through your forums, and the only resolve i've found for this is to switch the Internal External wires. I tested mine to be sure they are correct (they were), i switched them anyway (no change), so i switched them back. I have also done the telnet test w/ the mailserver and had no problems. TIA

mdh

Dumb question, but is your network setup so that traffic must pass through Untangle with no alternate traffic paths?

Is it a hub or a switch? This actually matters. Untangle does not play well with hubs.
    Anyway, I would setup the network like this.
    Cisco Router, UT, Switch, mail server.

Hope this helps.
    to be understood, you must first understand. :)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself. If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

mdh, the network is setup so that only the mail server is behind the UT box.
    Gotkimchi, cysco router, HUB, ut box, switch, mailserver. I was trying not to set it up as you recomend due to limited space in my Router room (2 servers in it already). I did notice that while i had the UT box in place (about 40 min yesterday), the mail was all being delivered, it just wasn't being picked up in the UT box. It is like it doesn't even notice it is there. Just passes straight through, as if it was just another switch. Let me see what i can do. I will have limited access today, so I'll get back to you ASAP. Did i mention I'm in a school system with limitted space and $$$'s :? Thanks again for advice.

mdh, as possibly a better response to your question..... traffic must hit the ut box before it hits the mail server, but it reaches plenty of destinations prior to reaching the UT. I also have, per federal regulations, an email archiver in line. This is also implemented prior to UT box. It just scans network traffic and archives all email traffic.

mdh

chazmO,

You really ***need*** to get the hub out of there and replace it with a switch. If you have to have switching upstream from Untangle, you'll need to use a switch and not a hub. From your descriptions, it sounds like your problem is due to one of the following:

1. Your Spam Blocker is not turned on
    2. You have multiple paths between the mail server and anything upstream from Untangle
    3. You have it wired backwards. You won't find spam blocker data to support it, so check reports for the platform summary. Most companies have more data coming in than going out. If you don't, go to CONFIG -> SUPPORT -> NETWORK INTERFACES. Pop the external cable off, hit REFRESH and it will tell you which one is disconnected.

I'll bet your cabling is reversed.

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post

I'll bet your cabling is reversed.
    this is my guess also.
    traffic will pass fine, but spam scanning is only on for inbound traffic by default.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast