Default Outbound required for training?

Hello,

I cant seem to find this info in any other thread or the wiki.. so hopefully someone can help!

I have untangle in bridge mode with spam blocker which sits in front of a mail server that is accepting incoming emails, however outbound emails are sent from a different box which is not behind untangle.

Do i need to feed outbound email through untangle to help build some sort of internal whitelist?

I ask because we are getting quite a few false positives caught in qurantine, im wondering if i feed outbound email through untangle will the recipients address be whitelisted so when they reply back it does not get quarantined? THX!

It might help possibly train the bayesian just a tad, but it is not necessary.

I would go back to the default settings in spam blocker if you have changed settings.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    It might help possibly train the bayesian just a tad, but it is not necessary.

I would go back to the default settings in spam blocker if you have changed settings.
    Hey, thanks for responding!

I am using the defaults for spam block settings, of 3 quarantined messages, two are false positive. There are lots of spam coming through also but its my understaning that in the begining a lot will come through until it has some history for training.

Do you know for sure that outbound email recipients will be trained as HAM? or is that a mystery? If its one of those mysteries then i dont think i will bother to re-route outbound mail through untangle just yet.

Thanks for your insights!

To answer my question:

NO, when you send outbound, untangle does not auto whitelist the recipients as i was hoping, when they reply, still quarantined.

"might possible... just a tad" does not justify re-routing my outbound through untangle. Hopefully in the upcoming weeks things will even out!

dmorris, thanks anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by mattch View Post
    Hey, thanks for responding!

I am using the defaults for spam block settings, of 3 quarantined messages, two are false positive. There are lots of spam coming through also but its my understaning that in the begining a lot will come through until it has some history for training.

Do you know for sure that outbound email recipients will be trained as HAM? or is that a mystery? If its one of those mysteries then i dont think i will bother to re-route outbound mail through untangle just yet.

Thanks for your insights!
    Well, yeah, if its a new install it takes a while to train.
    If its seen a few thousand messages are you're getting false positives with the defaults I suspect something is wrong...

In general extremely low scoring messages are used to train as ham, but it doesn't have anything to do with direction and inbound/outbound.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com