Master Untangler

Default Messages getting lost

I am having issues with some incoming emails not making it to our email servers. Right now I have disabled the spam blocking module but I would rather find a fix.

Here is what I have. Most, not all, of the emails that are missing don't have a score or action in the Spam logs. I understand that this could be caused by a high load on the machine but if I look at the reports the max 1 minute load was 0.91.
    The machine I have Untangle on should be overkill for our network. Dell R410 with 2 Quad core AMD processors and 4 Gigs of RAM. This is for a network with 10 computers with very high email usage.

I have attached a pic of my spam settings.

Any one have any ideas on this one?

Todd
    Last edited by talbers; 10-27-2011 at 11:29 AM.

You noted that the messages are not making it to your mail server, the question is are they going above the 10 you have set for super-spam, and just getting dropped? That should show up in the event logs for the tarpitting, I would first try turning off tarpitting, rather than the whole module, and increase super-spam back to the default of 20, see if those messages (if resent) are received, if so what they scored...etc. Just shutting off the module makes it hard to deduce what is happening and troubleshooting.

Quote Originally Posted by talbers View Post
    Any one have any ideas on this one?
    Untangle doesn't store-and-forward so messages can't just get "lost."
    They might get dropped if you have it configured to do so, I would suggest turning off 'drop super spam.'

Untangle doesn't ever pass the "accept" until after the email is delivered to its final destination, so if anything goes wrong the user should always get a bounce message.
    Last edited by dmorris; 10-27-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: clarify
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

The event logs that I am looking at are the ones in the reports, All Spam Events. If you could let me know where the tarpitting log is I will take a look at it.

I have no idea what the messages scored as there is no score in the logs, not a zero but rather a 'null'.

I am going to let it run for the rest of this week without being on just to see if I get any more email that doesn't show up. If not I will turn the spam module back on and uncheck the 'drop super spam' along with unchecking the 'Enable tarpitting'

The messages that didn't have a score never showed up in the email, the Exchange logs, and the sender never received a bounce back. That is why I said that the email was 'lost' as that is the best definition I can think of.

Next to the Spam Event tab you should have a tarpit event tab, and you can view those there.

So if I understand what you are saying is that in the spam event log the messages show up in there, but under score it says "null". If you have support I would contact them.

Master Untangler

It doesn't say 'null' but rather there is no text at all.

I do have support and I will give them a call I just wanted to see if anyone else had ever experienced this issue. With our line of business I cannot have email bouncing back, I am sure this is the same with most people today.

The Spam module by default will only drop what it calls Super Spam. This is stuff that is so likely to be spam, that is most certainly is spam. In the case that you are receiving messages that are scored that high, but legitimate, you're likely receiving mail from a cracked server, and you need to work with the admin on the other side to sort out their crap.

The other danger is the tarpit. The tarpit on disconnect should generate an NDR on the source end. The drop super spam feature will not generate an NDR.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com