Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default 1 user receives lots of spam

Using Utangle 9.0 with the basic spam blocker app. I have about 15 users on an exchange server and we recently let the Symantec Spam software expire and started using UT. I have one user who gets a lot of spam into his inbox on a daily basis. His quarantine is also much larger than the rest of the users. Can anyone tell me what is happening? He did not have this problem until we stopped using Symantec.

He's receiving more junk?

Have you purchased the commtouch spam booster? If you haven't the filter isn't equivalent to the Symantec offering.

Nothing sounds wrong to me, you've just got a user with an address in all the spam lists.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

No commtouch, just the basic filter. It's just one user out of the 15 though, I would think that an inferior spam blocker would be inferior for all my mail boxes. How is a hardware filter less powerful than the software filter from Symantec?

Am I to assume that since the spam blocker is not good enough it can't handle the load? It appears that this one account receives more spam (whether blocked, quarantined or allowed) than the rest of the accounts. I base this statement on the fact that his quarantine is much larger than the other users and the fact that he gets tons more spam in his inbox too. So is the filter just giving up on this one account?

PCS
    Master Untangler

Sounds to me that particular user's email address is on a lot more spam lists than the other users. If the filter were giving up, you wouldn't see the much larger quarantine either. You might give the Commtouch a try to see if it helps. I believe you can get a 14 day trial.

Also, do you have tarpitting enabled?

Quote Originally Posted by itsystemsllc View Post
    So is the filter just giving up on this one account?
    Did he add a bunch of stuff to his pass-list?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by PCS View Post
    Sounds to me that particular user's email address is on a lot more spam lists than the other users. If the filter were giving up, you wouldn't see the much larger quarantine either. You might give the Commtouch a try to see if it helps. I believe you can get a 14 day trial.

Also, do you have tarpitting enabled?
    I had the same thought about spam lists. Perhaps his address is even listed on their website, not sure. Obviously that is bad so I will be checking that out. Tarpitting is enabled as well.

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Did he add a bunch of stuff to his pass-list?
    I don't think so because he said he hasn't received his daily quarantine reports. (I fixed that issue by using the exchange server to send the UT emails instead of UT's internal smtp.) BTW, if he had added addresses to his safe list, I would be able to see that from the UT interface in the same place I can set global safe lists correct?

Quote Originally Posted by itsystemsllc View Post
    if he had added addresses to his safe list, I would be able to see that from the UT interface in the same place I can set global safe lists correct?
    correct.

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    He's receiving more junk?

Have you purchased the commtouch spam booster? If you haven't the filter isn't equivalent to the Symantec offering.

Nothing sounds wrong to me, you've just got a user with an address in all the spam lists.
    From what support told me, the commtouch spam booster is now part of Spam Blocker. We weren't able to install Spam Blocker and had a few users who got more spam than the rest of our users. Spam Blocker lite was what we had running. Today I was able to have support help me get Spam Blocker installed and our spam catch rate has been much better. I crank up my settings to the extreme threshold and set super spam to drop at a score above 8.
    Gary
    Network and Systems Administrator

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by glamontagne View Post
    From what support told me, the commtouch spam booster is now part of Spam Blocker. We weren't able to install Spam Blocker and had a few users who got more spam than the rest of our users. Spam Blocker lite was what we had running. Today I was able to have support help me get Spam Blocker installed and our spam catch rate has been much better. I crank up my settings to the extreme threshold and set super spam to drop at a score above 8.
    So are you saying that there is no need to purchase Commtouch anymore? Not sure I understood that correctly. The free Spam Blocker app should be taking care of my issue?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast