Untanglit

Default SpamBlocker with Barracuda Hosted Service

Hello,

I currently have my office setup to use Barracuda Hosted Spam Service as a first line of defense for spam and then an Untangle server in bridged mode. My question is, does the Barracuda service affect the spam scores I am receiving from SpamBlocker?

The main reason, other than spam filtering, I use the Barracuda service is because it will store my emails if my server is down temporarily. Not really sure if there is a better alternative.

Appreciate any feedback.

Chris

if all mail is going to the Barracuda Hosted Spam Service, then from there (through the Untangle) to your mail server, yes the effectiveness of the Spam Blocker will be hampered.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by hlarsen View Post
    if all mail is going to the Barracuda Hosted Spam Service, then from there (through the Untangle) to your mail server, yes the effectiveness of the Spam Blocker will be hampered.
    Correct, the email is routed through Barracuda then through Untangle. Again, I like the feature that allows my email to be stored and released if my server or internet goes down.

I guess I could change my mx records to point to my server with first priority and then have the Barracuda mx records below that so if the server does go down it will still be stored with Barracuda temporarily.

Thanks for the reply,

Chris

Its really more of a marketing feature.

The original sending server will continue to retransmit until it successfully delivers a message. So if your mail server goes down and comes back you'll get all the messages eventually anyway.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I also use a service that scans my emails for malware/spam before hitting my exchange server (Spamsoap, I think they are a reseller for another company, Postini maybe).

In the 3-4 years I have been using them I have not received 5 pieces of spam and zero malware. It's kind of crazy how well it works. I ended up turning off the spam filter on my Untangle box just because I didn't need it. One other benefit (probably minimal) is that you can setup port forward rules in Untangle to only accept connections on port 25 from their servers. Once I did that the daily script kiddy attacks on that open port dropped to zero.

I also like the "spooling" feature you mention. I think they spool for 30 days if they can't connect to your exchange server. I can't imagine a scenario where I would ever need that long of a time of message spooling, but what I really like is that I get an email alerting me that they can't connect to my exchange server. This is how I normally find out that the internet is down at my office.