Untanglit

Default Block mails above certain size (ex. 9MB)

Hello,
    We had a few issues with a client that wants to send mail of 11MB, 10MB...
    For there ADSL line this is a problem, the outlook client gets a timeout and tries again,
    result -> a whole night retrying sending the mail -> 5GB data traffic -> need to buy extra data blocks.
    Can I get a setup in the untangle so an untangle filter blocks every SMTP or POP3 message that is over a certain size?
    /EDIT: The untangle box is a bridge between ADSL modem and the switches, protecting about 15 users, the open source version is installed
    thanks!

mdh

I don't see that one happening. That issue is between you and your email server administrator, or training that client.

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    I don't see that one happening. That issue is between you and your email server administrator, or training that client.
    Ok I understand, but receiving big mails is not a problem, it's sending big mails over the ADSL line.

So can I set an SMTP filter that looks at the messages that are being sent from the internel network (all outlook 2003 / 2007 clients with pop3 / smtp connection)?

Untanglit

In the SMTP filter I see in the event log: "Oversize message"

What does dis mean? Oversized for Untangle or for the SMTP server of the ISP?

Can this setting be altered?

mdh

I think both of your last two questions need to be answered by someone with an Engineering perspective.

From MY perspective, big emails do present a problem, BUT that is also from a corporate standpoint and not from the individual user perspective. You may want to receive that 9MB file. Someone at a company gets it in their inbox, but ends reading it via a pay-per-minute or pay-per-megabyte kiosk connection or through a Blackberry on the road somewhere. Its often more trouble than its worth in a business setting.

mdh

The "engineering perspective" came up with the "oversize message" answer. Untangle's Spam Blocker ignores messages larger than 150KB, with the rationale being that a successful spammer sends out as many short messages as possible. Sending big spams is counter-productive for them. We do check those same files for viruses, but even then, viruses or exploits are usually short and (anything but) sweet. Thanks for asking a question that got me a new answer!!!

Untangler

Default Yes you can do this

Again, as you were told before, it depends on what kind of e-mail server you are using. You will have to configure this at the level of the e-mail server, whether or not you can get it to act the way you want it to is not an untangle question, it's an e-mail server question.

Exchange can filter outgoing e-mails based on size, determine if they are leaving the corporation, etc. and apply rules that way. I believe linux based e-mail servers such as postfix can do the same thing, but alas, I'm not sure.