Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untanglit

Default SPAM is still going thru :(

Hi,
    Even though I have it set to extreme, SPAM is blocked according to the logs but I still get over 30 emails / day of junk emails. Any ideas how to stop this?

mdh

No spam blocker is perfect. You are getting 30 per day. How many are being blocked or quarantined? What is the ratio between good (plus the 30 junk ones) compared to the blocked?

Untanglit

mdh, don't get me wrong, & I agree and encourage your perfect work. As of today for example, and out of 2367 emails, I get 2390 blocked and 50 quarantined. This is awesome but I was just wondering if there was a way to tweak this to go even tighter.

mdh

I wish my work was perfect! Sometimes increasing the scan level helps, unless you are already set to extreme (which you said you are already). The biggest problem that spam blockers face is that the enemy (spammers) keep up to date on the technology that is used to defeat them, and they often find ways to stay one step ahead. Its a cat and mouse game, and today's success will not be valid tomorrow. This may be as good as it can get until an update is sent out with new algorithms for detecting spam.

pacini,

There are several things you can do to make Untangle filter spam better. The only supported method is to run the latest version of Untangle (5.2.1 at this time).

The unsupported things involve manually messing with the internals of your Untangle system. For example, upgrading the SpamAssassin from 3.2.3 (currently in Untangle 5.2.1) to 3.2.4. You can enable Pyzor. You can install Razor. You can install DCC. You can install SOUGHT. You can install BOTNET (if appropriate for your configuration). You can install CMAE (if you have TONS of money and are a tier 1 or 2 mail server company).

- Jason

OK, so I'm gonna jump in here instead of starting a new thread on the same topic.
    JEllingson, would you be willing to provide a push in the right direction for installing some of these extras into Untangle?
    I understand that no spam filter is perfect, but I know how effective SpamAssassin is, and this doesn't come close right now. I have it set to Extreme, and I'm not losing any good mail yet, but it's still allowing 20-30 spam messages per user per day.
    I would be interested in finding out how to:
    *Upgrade SpamAssassin
    *Enable Pyzor
    *Install Razor, DCC, SOUGHT

Any information that anyone could provide would be great.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Juan and I have just released a script to improve the SpamBlocker. Please see the other thread.

However, once you do this, I would highly recommend you back off the threshold from Extreme back to normal... at least for a few days... otherwise, you will likely get many ham messages caught as spam with the new configuration.

Untangler

can i get a copy of that script and instructions? I am having about 400 spams come thrugh a day and my boss is yelling at us. Thank

Here is the link to what you need:

http://forums.untangle.com/showthread.php?t=3571

Untangler

how do you install enable Pyzor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast