; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R4 <<>> 209.18.47.61.zen.spamhaus.org a
    ;; global options: +cmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>Header<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 59138
    ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;209.18.47.61.zen.spamhaus.org. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    zen.spamhaus.org 150 IN SOA need.to.know.only. hostmaster.spamhaus.org. 1408181720 3600 600 432000 150

;; Query time: 118 msec
    ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
    ;; WHEN: Mon Aug 18 10:22:30 2014
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 111

That means your black list is working.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

I have continued to receive the influx of spam even after verifying that the DNSBL and DNSWL are functioning properly. I broke down and submitted a support ticket (29328). Five hours later, the response I receive tells me to upgrade to v10.

Some support system you guys have.

I got a similar answer several months ago, the upgrade doesn't help. However, the upgrade does put you in a position to get the fix when it lands. These issues will likely require an upgrade to Spam Blocker, which isn't going to happen on 9.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Master Untangler

Thanks for the input. I just hate it when you are forced to upgrade to fix an issue and the problem still exists after the upgrade.

I would also recommend that - it seems logical. It both ensures youre on the newest version and that you have defaults because you've just reinstalled.

I usually don't chime in on threads where users skip the new users guide, but given the number of people commenting on this thread its probably worth it.

Here's my advice...

Firstly, If you want help on the forums read the new user's guide. Seriously. Its worth your time.

This thread reads like a 6th grader who scored some poorly on several math tests. He wants to know why.
    Then a 4th grader posts that he also scored low on his reading tests and proposes a theory. Then a high schooler says he scored poorly on his SATs and agrees that he likely has the same issue. Then a guy says his car won't start in the morning sometimes and also suffers from the same issue. It just snowballs out of control. If you're trying to diagnose why you scored poorly on a math test - just look at the tests.

OK, enough of my poor analogy...
    This thread is filled with several people running different version of untangle, some with spam blocker some with spam blocker lite, with completely different configurations, all trying to guess what common issue they have. There isn't one.

If you want to debug spamassasin performance. Pick an email that you think should be considered spam. Analyze which tests matched and which tests didn't match and why. Look at it until you understand why that specific email scored what it did.
    Then look at another email. After you look at a few you may find a common thread, or you might not.
    You will never make progress if you just declare "obvious spam was missed! why?"

There are many common issues we see:
    1) bad settings (tarpit, how to handle scan failures, load limit, etc)
    2) DNS issues (this is like 15 different sub-issues actually)
    3) AWL issues (usually mail relaying related)
    4) bayes issues (usually caused by tarpitting or bad learning, can be compounded by AWL)
    5) spamassassin performance issues (usually caused by busy boxes)
    6) bad TLS settings (9.x only)
    7) mail was not actually spam - surprisingly common, people don't understand that "unwanted email" is not "spam"
    8) etc

There are many reasons your spam blocker or spam blocker lite could be scoring poorly.
    Last edited by dmorris; 08-22-2014 at 02:21 PM. Reason: spell gud
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

I agree that each user's situation is unique, which is why I decided to utilize my paid support subscription to hopefully get a reliable explanation for the sudden influx of spam and a suggested solution. Instead what I got was a knee jerk, cookie cutter response telling me that I need to upgrade to the latest version.

P.S. It was a poor analogy, although it's right in line with the level of support I have received thus far.

Master Untangler

When you say pick an email and analyze, how would I do that? Is there a debug log I should look into? I would like to debug without affecting the normal operation. What would be the steps?

For now, I used the http://whosspamming.us/ list to block all IP ranges since most of the spam that was getting through was from B2Net IPs.

Untangler

The spam is really getting ridiculous. Here is an example of spam that reached the user within an hour.
    spam.png

Here are three of the exact same emails. Two were dropped but the other one was marked and went through. Each one was scored differently even though it was the exact same email but from a different IP, of course.
    spam2.JPG

Anyone else have any other suggestions. I am planning on upgrading to version 10 eventually, but like many have said, it does not fix the problem. One way or another this needs to be resolved as there are many complaints about this exact same issue.
    Last edited by alexserenity; 08-29-2014 at 10:07 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast