Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default All e-mail scored 0, nothing is being blocked

As the title, states, all of my e-mail has a score of 0, regardless of if it's spam or not. Nothing at all is being blocked. My DNS servers are set to those of my ISP. It was working fine a few weeks ago and now this seems to be happening. I've tried reinstalling on version 9, 10, and now I'm on 11. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

Default Methinks something fishy is afoot

This is an ongoing issue that I am sadly coming to believe that everyone is in denial about.

My Spam Blocker Lite installation stopped working on 19 October 2014 at about 08:30 when all e-mail started getting a score of 0 (zero) and I started getting flooded with SPAM. Nothing had changed on my network or my Untangle configuration; SpamBlocker just puked all over itself.

This forum is full of advice about Settings and DNS and all sorts of stuff that sounds intelligent and legitimate; it's just that my config meets all of the prerequisites and SpamBlocker still does not work. I just wiped my box and did a completely fresh install of Untangle 11.0 and still no luck.

I am using my ISP's DNS servers (Comcast 75.75.75.75, 75.75.76.76) and SpamBlocker scores everything at 0 (zero) after 4 days of an avalanche of SPAM. Either SpamBlocker is not installing properly during a fresh install of Untangle, or DNS servers all over the world are being fooled into thinking everything is legitimate e-mail - (I don't think so). I am pretty confident DNS is working because MS Exchange "Intelligent Message Filtering" is working flawlessly on my Exchange server, and all of the crap that gets past SpamBlocker is being nailed by Exchange and relegated to the Junk Mail folder in MS Outlook. Who would have thought MS could do such a good job.

The one thing I have noticed is that most of the SPAM I have received originated domestically (North America - Primarily the US). I was able to reduce the amount of SPAM that hits my mail server by configuring firewall rules that prevent connections from IP address blocks that are maintained by bad actors - sites in the former Soviet Union, India-Pakistan-Bangladesh, etc. Of the 600 plus pieces of dreck that have hit my network 9 originated in in the old SU, 15 came from the Indian subcontinent, and nearly 600 arrived from the good old USofA.

I can post the firewall rules if anyone is interested. Admittedly, it is a stone knives and axes approach to controlling SPAM, but if it works I have no complaints. At this point SpamBlocker doesn't, and I just want some peace and quiet on my Exchange server.

Untangler

Hi Donald, I am on the exact same boat you are. A ton of email is getting through the spam blocker and Exchange is filtering the emails that get through Untangle. I currently have a support ticket open but they are telling me that spam blocker is working the way it should. Can you please post the firewall rules? I would like to apply those settings to our environment since it has helped you.

Thanks,
    Alex

I had to ask Alex to e-mail me at my office address since I couldn't figure out how to attach the JSON file to the forum post. If someone knows how to attach a file to a post I would be happy to post my firewall settings.

PLEASE NOTE: Review the file after you import it as it filters connections from numerous countries and you may do business in some of those locales. Best case scenario: import the settings then un-check the "Block" box and turn them on one at a time and monitor the results.

My SPAM receipts have gone from over 100 a day to 2 or 3 - a much easier number to manage.

On a personal note, Untangle NGFW is a great solution even though SpamBlocker seems to be broken. I just hope someone figures this out sooner rather than later.

SpamBlocker works fine, stop using popular DNS services.

You don't have to change anything, the more people that use Untangle and similar devices to get at the free to use in a limited fashion white lists and black lists the worse this problem is going to be.

Get your own resolver, point Untangle at it and move on. Otherwise get another spam solution.

The only people in denial around here are those that refuse to learn how the Spam Blocker works, and continue to complain about it.

And you must open a ticket with Untangle, because all scores = 0 is a problem likely beyond bad DNS.
    Last edited by sky-knight; 11-05-2014 at 11:17 AM.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

First full day report post v11, not 11.1 install, on isp's dns, is catching about 30% of spam, a Thunderbird intermediate client is catching up to 95%, default settings, except quarantine is changed to mark.
    spamblockday1point5v11b.jpg

So help me understand here. SpamBlocker broke all by itself, then a fresh install broke and that is what is causing all of the scores to read 0.

BTW, I've tried using other DNS servers without success, and every time I change from the Comcast DNS servers Untangle gives me the little warning triangle - "Spamblocker Lite is installed but an unsupported DNS server is used (External x.x.x.x). I haven't been able to find any "Supported" DNS servers on this forum, but what I have found is several posts advising people to use their ISP's DNS servers. So which is it?

I wouldn't be so aggravated if it weren't for the fact that it was working fine then BAMM, DOA for no reason and a fresh install doesn't help.
    Teemoo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald1952 View Post
    So help me understand here. SpamBlocker broke all by itself, then a fresh install broke and that is what is causing all of the scores to read 0.
    Yes, that is likely. I would guess that spamassassin isn't scanning mail at all.
    I doubt your DNS settings matter since spamassassin probably isn't scanning anything anyway.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Default OK - So time to eat some crow

That's fine. I've had it before; it tastes like chicken.

It seems that I had the message size settings a bit too low. I'll own that, but Untangle might want to make the Wiki a bit clearer.

I wanted to cut down on the processor load and since a recent tech article on SPAM indicated that most unwanted e-mail is less than 100KB, I set "Message Size Limit:" to 512. Unfortunately, the setting is interpreted in bytes not KB. The wiki doesn't really make that distinction and most of the software I work with these days deals in KB. Barring an update to the wiki it would be helpful if the Untangle interface had a warning such as, "NOTE: bytes."

All of that being said, Kudos to Eric at Untangle Technical Support for discovering my blunder. Spam Filter Lite is now obliterating the dreck that hits my network.

Hats off to Team Untangle!

Thanks for updating the thread.

For others, look at your event logs.
    If a message says 'pass oversize message' its because it was passed because it was over the size limit.
    http://wiki.untangle.com/index.php/S...cker#Event_Log
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast