Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The untangle box and our mail server are on the same T1 connection. The untangle box is acting as one of our internet gateways and I have several people here using it as their primary gateway. I had just noticed that SMTP incoming was set to medum and quarentine so I disabled it. My current Spam Blocker setup is as follows.....

SMTP
    incoming - unchecked
    outgoing - unchecked

POP
    incoming - checked - medium - mark
    outgoing - unchecked

IMAP
    incoming - checked - medium - mark
    outgoing - unchecked

Thanks a lot for your replies! I love this software and would really like to use the Spam Blocker feature along with everything else. It all seems to be working great.

Incoming mail is still very slow. What kind of time per message should I be expecting when using Untangles Virus & Spam Blockers on email? Maybe this is normal and I'm just not aware.

So I guess I'm the only person having this problem?

Do this... Open the Untangle client and position the rack so that you can see the Spam module. Then send an email from an external account to your internal mail server and monitor the graph of the spam module to see how long it takes to start scanning and how long it actually scans it. Then once it finishes scanning, see how long it takes to make it to your mail server and eventually your inbox.

I have noticed very good performance with the spam blocker. When I have monitored the Untangle box, the graph on the Spam module usually jumps over very quickly and the email is at the server immediately thereafter.

I don't doubt you that it is the spam blocker, just wanting to get a more clear idea of the time on each hop and work from there.

You did say that it performs as expected with the Spam module off right?

I have a question, just so I understand where you are watching 'Incoming mail' slowness

From External MTAs to your MTA
    Retrieving from your MTA to your outlook or other desktop Mail client?

Thanks

Untanglit

Default Think I got it figured out..

Gang -

I was experiencing 10-15 second per message download times when using Spam blocker with POP3 set to medium. My Untangle is set in bridge mode and I'm testing it on an AMD Duron system with 1GB RAM.

Anyway, I went into Config -> Networking and hard-set my IP address and used the DNS entries from OpenDNS.org (208.67.2220.220 and 208.67.222.222) and now I download POP3 messages through Spam Blocker at 3 seconds per message.

Hope this helps.

That's interesting. So you see an improvement by using a different external DNS Server?

How was your Untangle server receiving it's address before and what DNS server was it set to use prior to the change?

Untanglit

The DNS information was coming from my router's private IP (192.168.1.1) which was passing through the DNS provided by my ISP, Windstream.

I admittedly haven't run any tests to compare one DNS set against the other, but the speeds that I experienced led me to believe that SpamBlocker was working too hard to figure out either (a) where messages were coming from or (b) what messages were spam (based on the assumption that SpamBlocker does indeed communicate with outside sources).

I'm usually more concise in explaining my troubleshooting, but I just installed Untangle last night and started playing with it. I LOVE the product so far.

Thanks..

mdh

If tarpit was on, it uses DNS to do its job. Slow DNS would translate to slow spam processing in that case.

Untanglit

Hi,
    Same problem here... For my internet connection I am using a DSL modem (8Mb line) connected to a Zyxel Zywall 10 router. My Untangle server (3200+ Sempron processor / 1 Gig of RAM) sits beetween my Zywall 10 and my lan switch (transparent bridge).
    I have only one app in my rack (Spam blocker) with SMTP scanning disabled (inboud/outbound), POP3 inbound scanning enabled and IMAP scanning disabled (inbound/outbound). I use POP3 boxes hosted by my local provider. When spam blocking is enabled each mail takes about 10 seconds to complete. When spam blocking is disabled POP3 downloading is very fast (about 2/3 mails by second).
    According to the posts I made some changes to my configuration (OpenDNS servers) without success.
    Any clue ?
    Thanks a lot
    Guillaume

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast