Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by techserv View Post
    Since running into the slow POP mail issue, I have started looking at hosting my own mail as well. I have other reasons for hosting my own mail as well, this was just the icing on the cake.

I hate Exchange, so I started looking for alternatives. I have been messing around with hMailServer today. It was very easy to setup and seem to work great with Untangle. Anybody else use this mail server software?

Their website:
    www.hmailserver.com

Cost: $0
    I think you can use a linux box with Postfix. Just install a CentOs 5.1 distribution (for instance), install the postfix package (yum install postfix), switch MTA to Postfix (yum install system-mail-switch and launch it to select Postfix as your MTA). Than edit the /etc/postfix/main.cf: you will only add to change 2 or 3 parameters to get a valid smtp server for you domain (change the inet_interfaces value to all and adjust the my_destination parameter). The main.cf file is very well documented too.
    If you need a local POP/IMAP server too you can install dovecot (not even a line to modify !)
    I am a Linux newbie and the install was quite easy.

Bye
    Guillaume

Untangler

I had this problem for weeks, and had to increase the time out issue on the Outlook, eventuall disabled tarpitting and the mail starting coming in at a normal rate

Gin

POP3 spam filtering is irremissible slow starting from v5.01 (in my experience). On the PC I do use spambayes freeware. It perfectly fits to Outlook, have proxy for POP3 and IMAP and works much faster. But if you like a solution for transparent filtering on Inet geteway - you should look another way. One of them is to insert another product with POP3 filtering. Give a try for smoothwall and disable Untangle's SPAM filtering completely.
    To Untangle teem: Guys! You product looks nice and robust, but SPAM filtering performance... #%^$...

A couple of things...

1) Where possible, you should try to use IMAP anyway. It is more efficient of a mail protocol.

2) If POP3 scanner is slow... your SMTP scanner is also probably suffering. Do you have enough CPU/RAM? And more importantly, is everything configured correctly with DNS?

3) In my experience, changing my DNS server from my local ISP to one you host yourself (and let it find IPs from root servers... don't use your ISP as a forwarder) can cut scanning time down to 1/3 of original time. -- This is why I'm going to be recommending that a future version of Untangle support a full DNS server internally (with ability to forward certain domains you may need for internal use).

Gin

With caching DNS "can cut scanning time down to 1/3" - if you are saying. I can't even imagine how slow that would be, cos' I'd newer tried to live without caching DNS .

Caching DNS server is good. However, what I'm more concerned about is where does your caching server get its DNS queries answered? If it simply uses your own ISP's DNS server (called forwarding lookup), then it will still be SLOW if the ISP's DNS server is slow (and many are surprisingly). However, if your caching DNS server gets its answers from the root servers, it may prove to be much faster.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345