Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Untanglit

Default Incoming Email EXTREMELY Slow - Spam Blocker

My incoming POP email runs verrrry slowly, 10+ seconds per message. I'm using Outlook 2003 on Win XP Pro, and fetching mail from Comcast. I've reproduced the problem on two separate untangle servers, both running the latest beta, 5.0.1, but varying in hardware. The first is a Dell Optiplex GX280, 3.0GHz Pentium 4, 1GB RAM, and the other is custom-built with the new Pentium Dual-Core 2140 1.6GHz processor, 1GB RAM, in an Intel D945GCC motherboard. The Dell has an onboard Broadcom NIC as the WAN interface, and an Intel PCI NIC as the LAN. My custom box has an Intel PCI NIC for WAN, and an onboard Intel NIC for LAN. Both servers were tested while in transparent bridge mode behind a Linksys WRT54GL router with dd-wrt firmware upgrade, running on a Motorola Surfboard cable modem.

In both cases, downloading messages literally takes forever, 10 to 15 seconds per message. I turned off modules in untangle until I got to the Spam Blocker. As soon as the Spam Blocker module is disabled, the messages blast into Outlook like normal.

I recall when running with the 4.x version of untangle a few months ago that POP email throughput was affected slightly, but nothing like this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would verify that your DNS settings are correct....

Thats all I can think of... ?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

I checked DNS: the untangle server had my router's IP as the primary, so I set my ISP's numbers for both primary and secondary, but I'm still getting the same result. I monitored the untangle admin interface while Outlook is trying to download messages, and the Spam Blocker activity shows short, intermittent spikes, presumably one for each message being downloaded.

Anything else I can try?

I'm having the same problem, noticed this on my test machine 900mz P3 w/512m of memory, but chalked it up to the small system, I don't think this is the problem now.

Tried to get Utangle to run Dell Optiplex 320 but no way, no how, can't figure out ATI SB600 drive controller, but I digress.)

Over the weekend I got Untangle 5.0.1 running on Dell Dimension C521, Athlon 64 X2 4000+ (2.1GHz, 512Kx2) 2 gig of ram, 160g hd. Broadcom on-board nic and Intel Pro/1000 desktop nic (pci). The network cables I ran WAN to On-Board and LAN to Intel. It seems to work, but I'm not sure how to tell if, in fact, it's correct.

Monday Morning everyone opens Outlook, 20-30 seconds per message x 100-150 messages X 35 users. Everyone has time-out errors from the mail server. They hit send-receive and reconnect, but it took almost 2 hours for everyone to finish downloading mail. I let it go just to see how long it would take. (my users were not amused!) All users have Symantec CE antivirus on their systems.

Internet connection is Qwest DSL
    Untangle is configured to Bridged mode, only Spam Blocker, Web Filter, Virus Blocker, and Reports are running.
    Both Primary and Secondary DNS is set to ISP DNS servers,
    All incoming email is POP3, as mail server is hosted by different service (Huntel) and not my ISP.

I logged on to the terminal, top command shows processor usage at 4-5%, 1.6 of the 2G memory in use. There are never more that 4-5 spamd pids at one time.

I can turn Spam Filter off and problem goes away.

Does POP3/SMTP make any difference?

Would it help to add the mail server to the hosts file? Is there a way to do this?

Untanglit

I feel better knowing I'm not the only one. I noticed you said that Reports are running, I had them running as well. Maybe try turning them off? My CPU util was very low also. I'm not in my office today, but I should be able to try it sans Reports sometime tomorrow.

Default pop3

I admit to being a little confused by the Spam Blocker SMTP default settings.

On the SMTP tab, Incoming Message is set to scan and use tarpit. I'm thinking in my case, I have no incoming messges via SMTP, so even with it set to scan there should be no messages to scan. I believe I might want to set Untangle to scan outgoing SMTP just make sure I don't have a hidden "Bot" on the network.

On the POP Tab incoming mesage is set to scan, @ medium, and mark the messages. this seems to make sense. But it really bums me there is no way to quarintine or just outright Block the spam on POP3, I still lose the bandwidth to download the spam, and users have to delete with it once it's marked.

I wonder if there may be a authentication problem, when I first moved to MS Vista BE and Outlook 2007 I couldn't download mail from my POP3 account. I had to live on the webmail client for a while. I did couple of days of researh to find there was some authentication problem with Vista. I ended up downloading and installing "Outlook Connector" to get OutLook to connect to my mail server.

To be clear, there are only 2 systems with Vista/Outlook 2007 the rest are XP with Outlook 2003 or 2000.

One other interesting note, a couple of my users complained that their email download was still slow an hour after I turned off the Spam Blocker, they had to reboot their systems to get normal email downloads. So my saying that turning off the Spam Blocker corrected the problem is not entirely true.

Untanglit

Upgraded to 5.0.2 and it's much faster. I'd say the average is about 5 seconds per message, which is what I remember my experience with 4.x being several months ago. I am running my tests on a different ISP now though, so to be thorough I'll take it back to the other site and test on the same ISP/network where I had my original issues.

Question try again

Thanks for the update. My system has updated to 5.0.2, I'll turn it back on and see what we get tomorrow.

Untanglit

Ok, not so great news: I put the same server back on the original network that I had tested on, and it's slow again. The "slow" network has a Comcast cable internet connection, and the "somewhat fast" network has Verizon DSL internet. I tested the Pentium Dual-Core 2140 server (detailed above) in both locations, and used the same client PC at both locations as well, which runs Vista Ultimate with Outlook 2007, and I was downloading mail from Comcast's mail server in both locations as well. The only difference now between the two locations, other than the ISP, is the router I'm using. Later today I plan to test with the same router at both locations, so I'll report back after that.

dieselpower: Could you elaborate a little more on that Outlook Connector issue you mentioned? Have you had a chance to do anymore testing?

Untanglit

The ISP appears to be the key factor. I setup an identical model router, which by the way is a Linksys WRT54GL with dd-wrt firmware v23 SP2, and the emails come through "less slow" on my DSL connection as opposed to the cable connection. The email throughput on the DSL is by no means speedy, but it's acceptable; on the cable modem it's painfully slow.

Has untangle received any other reports of this issue, or done any kind of internal testing against different ISPs?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast