Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Untangler

Default Emails are marked instead of Quarantined

My SMTP settings are set to quarantine messages...and we are not using Pop or IMAP. I need to figure out how to get these messages to quarantine instead of passing them as marked. It is like the spam blocker is doing both with a lot more being marked instead of quarantined.

I'd also like to figure this one out. I have clients complaining that they're getting way too many [SPAM] messages in their inboxes. None of them are legitimate emails.
    Ryan

Master Untangler

So your connection should look like this:

Internet -> Untangle -> Mailserver

SMTP traffic needs to pass through the untangle server to get it scanned and held by untangle. If you do have this setup and still are getting lots of [SPAM] (which shouldn't happen) then try turning off POP and IMAP inbound scanning. See if that helps, might see more spam though.

Not sure why people would complain about that. Just setup a filter and point it to another folder...empty that folder every week...sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by MoreDakka View Post

Not sure why people would complain about that. Just setup a filter and point it to another folder...empty that folder every week...sheesh.
    I would complain about that. You don't really want spam wasting useful resources like disk space, backup tapes, etc ...
    --------------------------------
    Juan Machado

That's the issue we're having right now. It's not that I'm hugely concerned about it, but when the manager complains, it becomes an issue.
    I'll try disabling the POP and IMAP filters, just to test. Doesn't make sense, but it's worth a shot.
    Ryan

It's still marking messages instead of quarantining them.
    I just received a message titled 'Permanent member sex battles!' with a SA score of 22.8, which I would assume puts it way over the limit that Untangle is configured to quarantine at.
    Ryan

I think that the issue is that the cables are reversed. I know, sounds crazy. But that's my thought. I would test it out.

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post
    That's the issue we're having right now. It's not that I'm hugely concerned about it, but when the manager complains, it becomes an issue.
    I'll try disabling the POP and IMAP filters, just to test. Doesn't make sense, but it's worth a shot.
    So I'm assuming then your setup is as I described above then.

Under Email -> Quarantine -> Quarantinable Addresses there should be a ' * ' under quarantinable address with a description of ' All addresses have quarantines '
    Also (not sure if this would make a difference) make sure that the Maximim Holding Time (days) is set to something above 0.

Quote Originally Posted by amac View Post
    I think that the issue is that the cables are reversed. I know, sounds crazy. But that's my thought. I would test it out.
    Ha, never thought of that. That fixes sooo many issues :-D

blooney, I told you about the cables... I thought you already tested that... :-)
    Juan Machado

Quote Originally Posted by MoreDakka View Post
    Under Email -> Quarantine -> Quarantinable Addresses there should be a ' * ' under quarantinable address with a description of ' All addresses have quarantines '
    Also (not sure if this would make a difference) make sure that the Maximim Holding Time (days) is set to something above 0.
    CRAP!
    I thought I had a pretty good handle on this system... I had set up explicit quarantinable addresses, but we've recently changed email domains, so now none of those addresses are valid. I removed them all and put just a ' * '.
    Works fine now...
    Thanks all!
    Ryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast