Untangler

Default Tarpit Whitelist?

Hi,

I run an SBS server behind UT 5.2 in bridge mode. As a precaution against server/internet connection failure, a secondary MX record is setup pointing to a backup mail server supplied as a service by DynDNS. In the event of Internet / Server going downThe Backup MX service from DynDNS collects mail for the server and stores it until the server is backup. Tarpiting can cause big problems with this as described here:

http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/thi...backup_mx.html

It will also cause the backup mx to deliver large amounts of email after the server has been down which Untangle may suspect as spam activity.

Is it possible to whitelist the Backup MX Ip addresses so that they are not subjet to tarpitting and to all ow these IP's to deliver large amounts of mail in a short period.

many Thanks

Master Untangler

I'm not really sure if IP whitelisting is already available by now. Only specific e-mail addy and the domain.

In my case, since I cannot whitelist a specific IP addy, I just disabled the tarpit.

Hope this helps.

Untangler

Hi,

Tarpit is a very useful feature against directory harvesting, so it would be preferred to keep it turned on. Anyone else with any idea if this is possible?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think tarpit would have any affect on this. Untangle's definition of this feature is:

If selected, enables the DNSBL feature, which refuses connections from email hosts that are blacklisted.
    Unless the DynDNS server were on a blacklist, then Spam Blocker should not interfere.

Maybe you're thinking of Attack Blocker? That might be an issue if DynDNS isn't throttling the queued mail.

auto-whitelisting should accomplish the same thing automatically.

unless your backup MX is delivering lots of spam as well...
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

I know the spam blocker doesn't do whitelists on the tarpit side but I was thinking about this. If you really need a work around you could always bypass traffic sourced from the mail server you want to trust. This would allow the mail right past the rack and directly to your mail server.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com