Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Take 5 iPhones, 1 Exchange server, 1 Untangle box, 1 Domain and whats left?

I have a LAN setup with an Exchange server (lets say @windows.com). I have Untangle 6.02 setup in bridge mode with a public router in front of it. Everything seems great!! This thing does pretty good overall I think!!

I have 1 problem, I have 5 mobile users that have iPhones to access Exchange. Email works fine unless a user sends an email to someone on the (@windows.com) domain. So inner office email is sent to quarantine from the iPhone. I tried to add the blocked users to whitelist through the user digest but UT says "the address is internal and cannot be added to safe senders".

This happens on all 5 accounts that use iPhones for email access. Other users that use Windows Smartphones do not have this problem.

Any ideas?

Which quarantine are you referring to.. the one in exchange or the one in Untangle?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle is quarantining the messages.
    If the users are logged in locally using Outlook, the email is fine.

You've got your bridge plugged in backwards...

The thing is, iPhone and windows mobile both use OWA as the point of access. The UT appliance is incapable of scanning that traffic. And, by default UT has a policy that routes all outgoing access to port 25 into the no rack, which means no spam filtration.

So, unless you've been playing with policies the only way that UT could be filtering outgoing mail is that the unit is plugged in backwards. And, the device is doing its job backwards.

Get into your admin console, click on the config tab, click on networking, look at the interfaces... unplug them both and replug them one at a time. Ensure that external is facing the internet, and internal is facing exchange.
    NexgenAppliances.com

This might sound like a dumb question, but if they were plugged in backwords wouldn't the device not work at all?

Nope, it still bridges traffic but the rack isn't processing packets correctly. This is a "very" common issue with bridge installs. Even us UT vets get them backwards from time to time.
    NexgenAppliances.com

Sweet!! I hope it's that simple and you are right. I will switch it tomorrow and test then post my results.

Thank you very much for your quick replies!!

you can verify by just unplugging one nic at a time and hitting refresh in the config->networking->interfaces page.

then label as appropriate.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untanglit

Default iPhone Connectivity

Just to check, are your iPhones connecting natively to Exchange (ActiveSync) or do you have them set to IMAP and SMTP?

From your description it sounded like IMAP/SMTP. If it's using Activesync it never really sends email, it just syncs with the server, and the server sends what gets synced into the Outbox. So while web filtering might kick in, spam filtering shouldn't because it's sent no differently from the iPhone than from Outlook. (This would also apply to remote Outlook connecting via the HTTPS proxy)

While the older phones required IMAP, the newer phones all do Activesync, and really, it's the best way to go. And unless you have other reasons that require a Pop3 or IMAP client, there's no need to deal with the hassles of allowing SMTP relay through your Exchange server. (Something needful in some instances for compliance or archiving.)

Z.

I tested the connections and they were backwards. I switched them and the mail is not being quarantined now. You were correct.

They are using IMAP for the iPhones.

Thanks a lot for the help!! You know your stuff!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast