Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

I just remembered/realized that SpamAssassin has been changed between 5.x and 6.x in the number of child processes it can have. It used to be set at 20, but now it is limited to 5. I wonder if they change that setting back if it wouldn't help... He has a fast system w/ 4GB RAM.

- Jason

Untangler

I would like to make that change on my spamassassin. Does anyone know how? Is this a coding change or a changeable variable?

I have ordered new hardware to replace my aging P4 but I need to make changes to allow mailflow to continue in the interim.

Craisy Daisy,

You'll find your answer HERE.

- Jason

Untangler

that seemed to help wondering if i should look into the spamassassin child and increase mine.

what y think.

Untangler

Exclamation Very frustrated!!!

I started this thread over 2 months ago and continue to have problems (as I see may people are having).

Based on the information provided to me by Untangle support and this forum, I have gone ahead and purchased new hardware to combat this SPAM issue.

My Untangle server gets hit with ~1million SPAM connections per day. ~96% or so of those are blocked by tarpitting.

I upgraded to a Quad core 2.66GHz, 4GB memory and a 500GB disk (I did not perform a restore, I configured 6.2 from scratch). My external monitoring began failing within 24 hours complaining my mail server was unavailable.

I contacted support who told me that with that amount connection attempts, I needed to change fail/close to fail/open.

I made that change and for ~2 days everything worked great! Last night my phone started buzzing at an ungodly hour and continued throughout the night.

I call support again and they basically tell me that Untangle cannot handle this amount of SMTP connections and there isn't much they can do!!

WTF is going on? First I am told my hardware isn't fast enough. I upgrade. Then I am told the product needs to be changed from the defaults (fail/open) in order to work. I make that change. Then support says, Untangle cannot handle this amount of spam.

I am extremely frustrated and to be honest, I am tired of paid support sending me links to the forums for my solutions. Isn't that what I pay them for?

I think it is important to note, I experienced none of these problems with 6.0!!

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by Craisy Daisy View Post
    I am extremely frustrated and to be honest, I am tired of paid support sending me links to the forums for my solutions. Isn't that what I pay them for?
    I realized that I got a little excited above and would like to clarify that although I am frustrated, Untangle support has been extremely responsive, polite and professional at all times with me. They just aren't telling me what I want to hear right now.

So Ritchie, thanks for all your work on my issues so far.

Wait so what is the issue?

Is your mail server really going offline or is mxtoolbox whining about it? You should be aware that we had a mxtoolbox support guy on these forums about this time last year and he couldn't make thier service work 100% through the untangle...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

The mail server is of course online, it's just that Untangle is denying incoming SMTP connections.

I use a monitoring tool other then mxtoolbox on our monitoring server. It queries every 10 minutes and will alert after a second failure, effectively 20 minutes of 'downtime'.

My desired result is never have Untangle reject or delay a connection attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Craisy Daisy View Post
    My desired result is never have Untangle reject or delay a connection attempt.
    Well you're rejecting intentionally based on tarpitting, and your delaying intentionally to run a spam check...

I assume you've increased the amount of spamd workers per juank's post? Because that basically determines how many concurrent mails can be processed. Beyond that I think there is a "fail open" open that can bet set, the old versions used to do this by default and the current has the spamd "fail closed"

Code:
    curl http://untangle.com/download/patches/6.2/fail_open | sh
    I assume you're on 6.2? Have you tried that patch?
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Well you're rejecting intentionally based on tarpitting, and your delaying intentionally to run a spam check...

I assume you've increased the amount of spamd workers per juank's post? Because that basically determines how many concurrent mails can be processed. Beyond that I think there is a "fail open" open that can bet set, the old versions used to do this by default and the current has the spamd "fail closed"

Code:
    curl http://untangle.com/download/patches/6.2/fail_open | sh
    I assume you're on 6.2? Have you tried that patch?
    I should have clarified that I want Untangle to process all non DNSBL connections in a timely fashion as to not prevent legitimate emails from ever being delayed.

I have made some changes as recommended by JEllingson and that was to change 'max-spare' from 1 to 2. Should I be increasing the 'max-children' as JEllingson's post recommends?

Yes, 6.2 with patch as my post describes.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast