Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Well if you have the patch it should "fail open" so the issue at this point should be that Untangle isn't filtering spam properly not that it isn't processing...

I would try boosting the max-children and see what happens. The issue here is one of resources... another possible option would be to use the 64bit beta. This will give you some extra ram to play with and allow you to add more than the 4gb to make room for even more spamd processes.

All of this of course is theory... I haven't tested any of this and the 64bit install is still beta in and of itself.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

PCS
    Master Untangler

I have been fighting this same issue as well. I average about 500k of spam a day where 95% is tarpitted and the rest is dealt with by Spamassassin.

I tried upgrading the hardware, removing VMWARE and doing a clean ISO install with no success. I have tried all of the suggestions I could find on these forums with varying degrees of success. I got to the point where I got email, but it would be delayed by as much as 30 to 45 minutes. And the spamassassin log was full of "Too many concurrent scans" and "Load too high, rejecting connection". Also, the preforks were always showing busy. I tried the --local setting and it helped, but the spam getting through increased significantly.

I know virtually nothing about linux, but have been forced to learn some basics to try and resolve this issue. Figuring out how to use SSH for a remote terminal was a life saver. Anyway, I decided to use some extreme settings just to see what happened. I had my config backed up so I could always reinstall.

I modified the /etc/default/spamassassin file with the following:

OPTIONS="--create-prefs --max-children 20 --min-spare 3 --max-spare 5 --helper-home-dir"

Reading the forums I expected my memory and cpu usage to max out. To my surprise that did not happen and to my amazement it seems to have actually solved the problem. It has been 2 days now and the "concurrent scans" and "load too high" messages have all but disappeared. Right now on my 2GB system, I haven't seen memory used get over 1GB and my swap file is sitting at 0 MBs used. The CPU % has not gotten over 35% and hovers around 4 -12%.

At least for now, I am a very happy camper.

Craisy Daisy,

Try increasing the max-children to 20. If that doesn't help, then you'll need to use the following solution:

Turn ON tarpitting (this is a must).
    Switch SpamAssassin to only run local tests.
    Install SANESECURITY (see other thread for install script).

Then you should handle a huge load of email.

- Jason

tdb

Default Same Problem

I am having the same problem. The difference is my untangle box only processes an average of 4,000 emails a day. The spam blocker fails whenever SMTP filtering is turned on. POP/IMAP filtering appear to still be working fine. As soon as SMTP filtering is turned on SMTP connections are instantly blocked so there is no queue that gets filled up. As you can see there is not a huge load on this server. Any other ideas to fix this? I had no problems until July 24.

Quote Originally Posted by tdb View Post
    I am having the same problem. The difference is my untangle box only processes an average of 4,000 emails a day. The spam blocker fails whenever SMTP filtering is turned on. POP/IMAP filtering appear to still be working fine. As soon as SMTP filtering is turned on SMTP connections are instantly blocked so there is no queue that gets filled up. As you can see there is not a huge load on this server. Any other ideas to fix this? I had no problems until July 24.
    I'd start a new thread and give us your full network info, hardware info and any other info which might be relevant. At 4k emails a day i doubt its a "load" issue.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345