Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default 6.1 Blocking SPAM score of 0

I am having an issue with a 6.1 server that for some unknown reason starts blocking most incoming email. It even seems to be blocking the users from connecting to the SMTP to send mail. It seems to work fine for a while then it just freaks out and starts blocking almost everything. When this started, I reloaded the Untangle server from scratch and I thought the issue was resolved but it started again. What is most confusing to me is that I see in the event log that some of the blocked messages are going from one internal address to another. That indicates to me that it is being blocked when the user is attempting to connect to the Exchange SMTP in order to send. There are no records of the connection on the Exchange server. Also, all emails getting blocked are showing a score of 0.

My setup is quite simple. I have a Windows SBS 2003 server with the Untangle server sitting between it and the rest of the network. The only modules I am running on the Untangle is the Spam BLocker and the Phishing Blocker. The SPAM blocker is set to medium with the "Drop Super Spam from Quarantine' unchecked.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

What kinda of horsepower do you have for that Untangle box? CPU? RAM?

Default Why

I don't see how that is relevent, since it was working fine a week ago. I originally installed this box with version 5.0.3 and had it set to automatically update itself. It worked fine until this week when it started blocking ALOT of email. I have it configured for quarantine, not blocking.

What I can't figure out is why is it blocking when I have it configured to quarantine?? And it worked fine for a few hours after I reloaded it with a fresh install of 6.1.

ever think that maybe with the new kernel your software has outpaced your hardware?

There have been some dramatic improvements to the spam blocker, maybe you need to recheck your config in 6.1?
    www.nexgenappliances.com
    Toll Free: 866-794-8879
    UNTANGLE STAR PARTNER
    Follow us at spiceworks!

Default Possibly

I accept that it is possible I need to upgrade the hardware, but my question still remains. Why is Untangle Blocking when it is configured to Quarantine.

I repeat, I reloaded the system fresh with 6.1 and configured it to quarantine not block. Why is it blocking?????

Default Also

I forgot to mention it is blocking email that has a spam score of 0

If you are not wanting to disclose hardware info, what are the stats showing, is your CPU getting maxed out? The only emails that I see with a 0 spam score usually come from addresses listed in my global pass list.

For clarification of your network setup, you have your SBS server in a different network than your users accessing it?

I am not unwilling to disclose the hardware, I just don't see why it matter so much. The box is a 2gb (single core) with 1gb RAM and 40GB HD.

On average it is running at about 60-75% CPU utilization.

When I look at the event log I see that a lot of the emails that are getting blocked are clearly SPAM, but I also see the a good one getting blocked once in a while too. My main concern here is why is it blocking instead of putting them in quarantine????

I apologize if it seems I am being difficult, I don't mean to be. I just have angry people breathing down my neck because this will be the 3rd day this problem has been going on.

DOH!!! In answer to the question about the Exchange. It exists on the same network as the internals users. There are also about 20 external users. All I have done is place the Untangle between the switch and the Exchange server. Untangle is only running the SPAM blocker and reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by ITecs View Post
    What is most confusing to me is that I see in the event log that some of the blocked messages are going from one internal address to another. That indicates to me that it is being blocked when the user is attempting to connect to the Exchange SMTP in order to send.
    If the EXCH server is on the same network as your internal users, internal messages should never hit the UT box at all, it should be in/out of the EXCH box on your LAN only. Now the folks outside your LAN that connect is a totally different issue, and that will depend on how they access their mailboxes on the EXCH box (webmail, imap, pop).

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast