Default Using Spam blocker for multiple domains

I have a mail server that hosts about 50 domains. Will untangle smtp spam work with it?

Yes, it will scan all SMTP traffic, regardless of the target domain(s).

Untangle Ninja

Maybe skynight or someone can confirm, but couldnt you add all the domains that are hosted into the Spam control and remove the global variable one? This would allow all hosted domains to get quarantine, other bogus ones are non local ones will be ignored.

Is this how it works? I havent played with the Spam control that much yet.

Lannie

You can set which domains *@domain1.com, *@domain2.com get quarantines, or you can leave the default "*", and all incoming spam will be quarantined, regardless of which domain it's destined for.

Untangle doesn't know what domains are valid, so it accepts all incoming mail, and scans/tags/quarantines it accordingly. If an e-mail is sent to your server with an invalid address, I believe it still passes through untangle, but would be dropped at the server (?) since it would have no protocol for accepting it.

Untangle will then send out a daily spam digest e-mail to each user who has spam caught in the quarantine.

If you do not want individual users to administer their own quarantines, you can set up digest forwards, so all spam will go to the quarantine of the e-mail address of your choice. I have all (*) quarantines forwarded to my administrative account, since most of our external users are not computer savvy. It makes digging through 5-10,000 spam per day for any legit e-mail that might've gotten caught kind of a bitch, but, I'd rather do it myself than have Untangle send out 500+ quarantine digests every day.

I'm still kind of new to Untangle + SpamBlocker, but, it's a good learning experience, just diving right in.

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by citrusblast View Post
    You can set which domains *@domain1.com, *@domain2.com get quarantines, or you can leave the default "*", and all incoming spam will be quarantined, regardless of which domain it's destined for.

Untangle doesn't know what domains are valid, so it accepts all incoming mail, and scans/tags/quarantines it accordingly.
    If UT receives email for an invalid domain that does not exist on our internal network, does it try to send a quarantine to that domain, thus making our UT a spammer or will it only do this if we leave the global domain in the settings?

Lannie

Quote Originally Posted by lschafroth View Post
    If UT receives email for an invalid domain that does not exist on our internal network, does it try to send a quarantine to that domain, thus making our UT a spammer or will it only do this if we leave the global domain in the settings?
    UT only scans mail on the way to your email server, so it only scans mail that your email server accepts. So if your email server is (properly) configured to not accept mail for invalid address or invalid domains - untangle won't do anything with it.

citrusblast's explanation is spot on.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Yup, the wild card quarantine configuration that is in there by default is more than enough for a properly configured mail server. If your mail server has a blanket receive policy then you'll have to manually configure UT for each mailbox you want stored or it will happily quarantine everything under the sun.

I don't recommend you do that with a mail server to be honest...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    UT only scans mail on the way to your email server, so it only scans mail that your email server accepts. So if your email server is (properly) configured to not accept mail for invalid address or invalid domains - untangle won't do anything with it.

citrusblast's explanation is spot on.
    Cool. thats what I wanted to hear.

Lannie

Thanks for the info I have got it set up. The only problem I am having is when a user sends email. It seems the connection to the smtp server is timing out.

Untangler

i had the same issue... boils down to the user having a dynamic ip. and untangle was blocking the connection.
    my solution was to setup an outgoing mail server....
    and make a rule on untangle if it sees anything going to this ip ignore it.