Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Auburn, NY
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    What is your size limit configured to?
    Looks like it is "262144"

  2. #12
    Untangle Junkie dmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Carlos, CA
    Posts
    17,486

    Default

    Thats a good value. How big is the message?
    Its rare to see spam bigger than that, but you could easily increase that value so it will scan larger mails.

    The reason thats set is just so it doesn't waste time scanning mail with 3 meg zip file attachments because spam messages are never very big.
    You could try 524288 or even 1048576.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

  3. #13
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Auburn, NY
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Thats a good value. How big is the message?
    Its rare to see spam bigger than that, but you could easily increase that value so it will scan larger mails.

    The reason thats set is just so it doesn't waste time scanning mail with 3 meg zip file attachments because spam messages are never very big.
    You could try 524288 or even 1048576.
    Looks like they are 300-500KB. I will bump it up to 1048576. Believe it or not, these are the vast majority of the complaints we are getting. Very glad to pin something down finally.

  4. #14
    Untangle Junkie dmorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Carlos, CA
    Posts
    17,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
    Looks like they are 300-500KB. I will bump it up to 1048576. Believe it or not, these are the vast majority of the complaints we are getting. Very glad to pin something down finally.
    Very interesting!

    Do you have a support case open? If so what #?
    Would you mind attaching that sample to the case? I would be interested in seeing it. I wonder if spammers are now sending larger emails.
    If so we may need to change the default value of the size limit (or just remove it entirely)
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

  5. #15
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Auburn, NY
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Very interesting!

    Do you have a support case open? If so what #?
    Would you mind attaching that sample to the case? I would be interested in seeing it. I wonder if spammers are now sending larger emails.
    If so we may need to change the default value of the size limit (or just remove it entirely)
    We have had one open for awhile, unsure on the # as it was open buy another co-worker, I will get that from him in the AM. I will say almost all of them contain a JPEG which is the message. Unsure how spam blocker will even handle these messages. Should be interesting.

  6. #16
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Auburn, NY
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Here are the ticket numbers. My coworker said he attached 3 examples. Things are looking much better!

    33879 and 30699

  7. #17
    Untangle Ninja sky-knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    26,498

    Default

    Out of curiosity, I checked all the spam blockers I have in service for an event entry of pass oversize message, and I only see 2-3 events of actual e-mails passing on that check by default. None of which were spam!

    I found this surprising since my box here at Intouch has a single mailbox that receives 45% of my total e-mail volume, and 43% of my total e-mail volume is spam hitting that box alone. I figured I'd see something along these lines, but I'm not.

    So color me curious!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

  8. #18
    Master Untangler
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Auburn, NY
    Posts
    437

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    Out of curiosity, I checked all the spam blockers I have in service for an event entry of pass oversize message, and I only see 2-3 events of actual e-mails passing on that check by default. None of which were spam!

    I found this surprising since my box here at Intouch has a single mailbox that receives 45% of my total e-mail volume, and 43% of my total e-mail volume is spam hitting that box alone. I figured I'd see something along these lines, but I'm not.

    So color me curious!
    I can't blame it all on the oversized messages being passed. We took our score from a 3.0 to now a 1.5, and that is also helping alot. The users who typically would get 20-30 spams a day are now getting 1-3 spams a day with very minimal false positives. Quite pumped to see Untangle really knocking this spam out now. Took a bit to get it pinned down, but it was worth the effort!

  9. #19
    Untangle Ninja sky-knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    26,498

    Default

    Yeah, I can't pump my scores that high. I have legitimate mail regularly scoring around 2.5. Still, all things considered it's doing quite well. I want to see how the new engine fairs, my box is still 10.2.

    Then again I think UT support wants to see what the new engine does with that monster mailbox on my system. I'd kill it, but it's a great test case!
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2