Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Yes, but that wasn't really my point.
    My point was more that "I know the issue is Untangle because if I remove Untangle the issue goes away" is false.
    The above example is just one such very common SMTP issue where that is specifically not true. It may or may not be the issue.
    But using the above reasoning to say that you are not interested in troubleshooting with the support team because you already know where the issue is or is not means there is little they or myself do.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Yes, but that wasn't really my point.
    My point was more that "I know the issue is Untangle because if I remove Untangle the issue goes away" is false.
    The above example is just one such very common SMTP issue where that is specifically not true. It may or may not be the issue.
    But using the above reasoning to say that you are not interested in troubleshooting with the support team because you already know where the issue is or is not means there is little they or myself do.
    My intention here is not to point fingers or to offend, so my apologies if I've come across that way. I said, "It must be an issue with Untangle because the issue disappears when I remove Untangle" because that's precisely what happens. When I bypass SMTP traffic within Untangle the problem goes away. Untangle appears to be doing something to the traffic that's causing interruption.

Now if that interruption can be alleviated by simply dialing up the timeout settings on my email server I have no problem trying that, but you have to realize that when I was asked to do that I then replied by asking "Why?" and I received no cogent response. The only response I eventually got was that it must be your email server's problem because look you're getting 4.4.1 errors. At that point I pointed out that 4.4.1 errors are not generated by the recipient server but rather that they're generated by the sender's server, and that's where conversation died.

Had someone said, for instance, to change certain settings on my email server to accommodate additional latency added by the Untangle scans then I would have had no problem giving it a try, but that's not what happened. I'm more than happy to troubleshoot a problem but that doesn't mean I'm going to just start flipping switches and changing configurations aimlessly (without given a logical reason to do so), and that's what it seemed I was being asked to do. That may not be what was intended but that's what was being communicated to me.

All that aside if you guys are still willing to work with me I'd be happy to tweak some configurations on my end to see if we can accommodate any scanning latency if you still think that that's what it is. If so, is there a particular setting I should be looking to change? I've found some discussion on increasing the KeepAliveTime on Exchange but I'm not sure if that's relevant or not.

Thanks for any further troubleshooting ideas.

Untangler

I forgot to mention that we didn't see any improvements last night since switching to the new Untangle VM, so that gives me more confidence that the problem isn't related to any particular corruption on the VM itself.

We are absolutely here to help. I would contact support and be willing to troubleshoot. This includes looking at settings on your Exchange Server and looking at the logs. The issue may or may not be there, but it is essential to understanding what is going on.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    We are absolutely here to help. I would contact support and be willing to troubleshoot. This includes looking at settings on your Exchange Server and looking at the logs. The issue may or may not be there, but it is essential to understanding what is going on.
    I'll call in again. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123