Untangle Ninja

Default where is BAYES database now?

I need to dump the bayes database, as I have obvious spam coming in with BAYES_00 scores. This week alone I see literally hundreds of Spams with low or negative scores due solely to BAYES_00(-1.9) tags. They'd all have been scored as Spam with the correct BAYES_99 score, and a large percent would've been spam without BAYES bothering them at all (or with the "i dunno" BAYES_50 score).

However, I don't where it is these days. It used to be /home/spamc/spamassissin/bayes_* (or something like that) but now there's no /home/spamc and /home/spamd is empty.

Untangle Ninja

oh, nevermind, /home/spamd isn't empty, I just forgot to type ls -a to see the hidden directories

Untangle Ninja

well now I've done it, after deleting the BAYES database it's not re-initializing on it's own like it used to. although no BAYES is better than bad BAYES.

and looking about a bit more, syslog is filled with:
    Code:
    Aug 24 03:35:54 firewall spamd[12477]: mailshell: Spam Blocker License Invalid:
    1 at /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/MailShell.pm line 108.
    Aug 24 03:50:48 firewall spamd[12477]: mailshell: Spam Blocker License Invalid:
    1 at /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/MailShell.pm line 108.
    Aug 24 03:50:57 firewall spamd[3600]: mailshell: Spam Blocker License Invalid: 1
     at /usr/share/perl5/Mail/SpamAssassin/Plugin/MailShell.pm line 108.
    Aug 24 03:59:04 firewall spamd[3652]: mailshell: Spam Blocker License Invalid: 1
    Aug 24 04:00:53 firewall spamd[3652]: mailshell: Spam Blocker License Invalid: 1
    Aug 24 04:05:58 firewall spamd[3652]: mailshell: Spam Blocker License Invalid: 1
    Aug 24 04:18:15 firewall spamd[3652]: mailshell: Spam Blocker License Invalid: 1
    Aug 24 04:20:07 firewall spamd[3652]: mailshell: Spam Blocker License Invalid: 1
    (all day, not just since I screwed with the bayes files)

I think I have to give in and call support

Untangle Ninja

actually the BAYES database did get re-created, however on the 2nd try I powered off and powered on the entire Spam Blocker module in the rack, rather than just stopping and starting spamassassin from the shell (etc/init.d/spamassassin stop / start).

I still have to call support about those "License Invalid" messages though

Untangle Ninja

The License Invalid message appears to be a bug with the v14 upgrade where a bit of the license is not read or converted correctly during the upgrade. It is fixed now on my box, but I was not given permission to share the fix publicly. If you have the same issue, you can call support. My ticket number was 129186, if that helps you get the engineer to the right info.

This issue makes paid Spam Blocker work like Spam Blocker Lite (perhaps not even that well). This is probably what poisoned my BAYES database, mis-scored spam being fed into BAYES as good email. I'm debating whether to stick with the existing database and hope it can heal, or just dump it anyway. Leaning towards dumping it anyway.

(as an aside, the engineer I talked to was communicating with senior engineers about the problem, and was told initially not to help me because I had dared to delete the bayes files from the command line even though the license error clearly has nothing to do with bayes (and spam blocker had already re-created the bayes files). They said I'd have to do a factory default on the box before they would help. I expressed my annoyance and put the files back the way they were; in the meantime another engineer sent him a command for me to run which corrected the problem. This really makes me question the value of Untangle support if that's the attitude of senior engineers... "he typed a command once, deny support!")
    Last edited by johnsonx42; 08-24-2018 at 01:26 PM.

Untanglit

You deleted your Bayes database so how could it have poisoned it?

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dollopofdaisey View Post
    You deleted your Bayes database so how could it have poisoned it?
    I put the files back when the engineer threatened to deny support because I had deleted them.

I have now deleted them again, as I again concluded that the Bayes scores were so bad there was no value in keeping the current database - whatever good was in them was far outweighed by the bad. The database is being rebuilt again, as evidenced by the bayes* files appearing again in /home/spamd/.spamassassin/, but it has not yet started using the database for scoring; I think it needs to see a few thousand emails before it gets used.

The new thing to debate with myself is whether to remove the barracuda blacklist I added to the mail server early last week in trying to combat the spam surge; on one hand, the barracuda list blocks a ton of spam by itself, on the other hand it means the Spam Blocker sees a less spam with which to train the BAYES database. It also puts a lot less spam in the quarantines, making the quarantines easier to check. So far it looks like there's still plenty of spam to feed BAYES, so I will probably leave it as is.

There's really no loss to leaving the two technologies in place, training happens real-time so if you ever drop the barracuda stuff, it'll start learning. And at that point in the future it will have learned many things already. The only loss is the lack of learning right now, which is balanced against the lack of spam right now. I don't really see a downside here.
    f1assistance likes this.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    There's really no loss to leaving the two technologies in place, training happens real-time so if you ever drop the barracuda stuff, it'll start learning. And at that point in the future it will have learned many things already. The only loss is the lack of learning right now, which is balanced against the lack of spam right now. I don't really see a downside here.
    Generally I agree; the Untangle Wiki appears to advise against this (it depends on exactly how you take the wording, or which part you give more weight to), but I think on balance having an RBL on the mail server is a good idea particularly if the RBL being used is different than any used by Untangle.