Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ultimately this is why I wound up deploying my own DNS server in the cloud to use. ISP DNS was running into the free limits on the black lists on a regular basis just like the public DNS does. The only trade was the fact that resolution times were a bit slow for Web Filter, so I wound up configuring Untangle to use public DNS, and then used the domain override to push the black list and white list lookups to my cloud DNS for resolution.

But yeah, it's nuts how much trouble sluggish DNS can cause...
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Untangle Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by sky-knight View Post
    ...so I wound up configuring Untangle to use public DNS, and then used the domain override to push the black list and white list lookups to my cloud DNS for resolution.
    yeah, I'd already had to do that as well - my ISP's DNS was ok with regular RBL's like SORBS and SpamHaus, but wouldn't resolve URIBL or DNSWL requests so I'd used the domain override to point those to my internal DNS. Now everything's pointing at the internal DNS so I guess the overrides are redundant but harmless.

having now identified the issue, I may switch to OpenDNS. I'm not going to waste time complaining to my ISP about their DNS again, we're moving soon and hopefully will not be keeping the same ISP.

Careful with OpenDNS, I've had issues with it recently not cooperating with WebFilter.

That being said, I don't have a TON of time using it against the new engine, my issues were specifically related to OpenDNS not consistently working with zVelo.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12