Untanglit

Default Facebook vs iOS vs Browsers

Hey all.

Finally have my Untangle box up and running (the final one after testing on so many different HW configs).

I wanted to run an idea by you more experienced people, before I attempt to do this, and botch it all up.

My understanding is that SSL will happily scan Facebook.com. I just need to install the untangle cert on whatever machines.

That bine said, I have since learned that many apps on iOS devices (Facebook Included) use their own certs separate from the device certs. I believe this was also discussed in other thread.

What I'm actually looking to do, is have Facebook scanned on all of my PCs, but NOT on my iOS devices. Is this possible using the policy manager? Still learning Untangle, but I THINK I can do this by tagging the iOS devices with user names, then making a second policy with the SSL inspector bypassing Facebook for only those iOS devices.

Thoughts?

Yes on Android It is the same problem. I created a Ignore rule in ssl inspector by HTTP user Agent and put Android
    Last edited by Chrismal; 02-16-2017 at 12:47 PM.

Master Untangler

Yes you can send your IOS devices to a separate rack using Policy Manager and not block facebook on that rack in web filter / application control. If you set it to be a child of another rack there you will to install ssl inspector and simply leave it powered off so that the child rack does not inherit the settings from the parent rack for ssl inspector. This is also true with any app found on the parent rack that you don't want the child rack to inherit it's settings. Hope this helps!

Master Untangler

You can indeed also create ignore rules for the IOS devices or their ip addresses in the ssl inspector.