Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Untanglit

Another Question, as I still try to play around with SSL Inspector.

To have AdBlocker and SafeSearch working I need to have SSL Inspector.
    But Google refuses the connection. If I ignore now SSL Inspector for Google, then SafeSearch would also not work?

Br,
    Johannes

Master Untangler deleted_account+152373@untangle.com's Avatar

For ads I would use the web filter category online ads also marketing, but for safe search you need ssl inspector
    Last edited by Chrismal; 02-12-2018 at 04:08 AM.
    I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen

Master Untangler

Using Untangle at home (13.2) ... GMail works fine on all of my iOS devices (some iOS 9, some iOS 10, some iOS 11).

For your iOS device ... yes ... you may have imported the cert ... but you need to make sure you have enabled the cert too:

Settings - General - About - Certificate Trust Settings

Just because you import a cert in iOS, it does not meen iOS trusts it. You still have to explicitly set the trust.

Hopefully this works for you.
    mtarbox likes this.
    Untangle 15.0.0 (Build: 15.0.0.20200319) (Kernel: 4.9.0-11-untangle-amd64)
    QOTOM-Q355G4
    1.6-2.7 GHz Intel I5 5250U, 128GB SSD mSATA, 8GB RAM DDR3L, 4xRJ-45 Intel I211AT 10/100/1000 Controller

Untanglit

Quote Originally Posted by theoak View Post
    For your iOS device ... yes ... you may have imported the cert ... but you need to make sure you have enabled the cert too:

Settings - General - About - Certificate Trust Settings
    Thats a very good hint, I was not aware about that setting...

Br,
    Johannes

Quote Originally Posted by ebnerjoh View Post
    But if more and more Websites are not working with SSL Inspector or more and more "Workarounds" need to be defined, then it makes no sense anymore...
    Web sites will generally continue to work just fine with SSL Inspector. That's not changing. A web site relies on a browser, and a browser needs to be able to trust any of the major well-known certificate authorities.

It's Apps that pin certificates for the specific service used by the app. That's why it doesn't work on iOS, but worked just fine on PC. I think you'll find GMail works just fine on iOS, too, if you restrict yourself to access via Safari (but who wants to do that? ).
    Five time Microsoft ASP.Net MVP managing a Lenovo RD330 / E5-2420 / 16GB with Untangle 14.2.2 to protect 500Mbits for ~450 residential college students and associated staff and faculty

Try some of the following options:
    1. Visit the Gmail website And check for alerts (something like, “Someone has your password” or “We blocked a sign-in attempt.”)
    2. Review your recent devices on Google’s website
    3. Do the CAPTCHA reset
    4. Make sure IMAP is enabled
    5. Remove your Gmail acccount from your iPhone and set it up again
    This might also help: gmail sign up

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoehoorn View Post
    Web sites will generally continue to work just fine with SSL Inspector. That's not changing. A web site relies on a browser, and a browser needs to be able to trust any of the major well-known certificate authorities.

It's Apps that pin certificates for the specific service used by the app. That's why it doesn't work on iOS, but worked just fine on PC. I think you'll find GMail works just fine on iOS, too, if you restrict yourself to access via Safari (but who wants to do that? ).
    On a side note, I ran across a PWA that used a pinned cert (was a malware prototype/example). So even things that are traditionally "browser based" are rapidly changing in this area. I didn't fully rip it apart/test the code to see if it worked as intended, but it looked like it would.

Encryption is the bane of security, and the boon of privacy.
    Last edited by JasonJoel; 06-23-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJoel View Post
    Encryption is the bane of security
    Traditional network-security that is content-based, sure. antivirus and antispam and IPS and stuff that needs the content provides less value, but SSL also brings authentication. Being able to verify the authenticity of the party being talked to is incredibly valuable, both to the client and the network security.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Master Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by dmorris View Post
    Traditional network-security that is content-based, sure. antivirus and antispam and IPS and stuff that needs the content provides less value, but SSL also brings authentication. Being able to verify the authenticity of the party being talked to is incredibly valuable, both to the client and the network security.
    Fair point. Encryption is very useful for INTENDED/KNOWN traffic authentication/protection... Very bad for every other kind of traffic (which is the traffic you most want to control).

Throw in DNS encryption and VPNs and it is basically 'game over' for perimeter security/filtering (?).
    Last edited by JasonJoel; 06-25-2018 at 08:19 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12