Untangler

Default SSL Inspector and Whatsapp

Hi, I enabled SSL Inspector yesterday and I noticed that Images and Videos won't download on my android devices. I assume that's because of the Untangle intercepting the traffic. Certificates are installed on the Android devices (VPN and Apps option).

My question is, what my options are? Is there any way to fix it? Or can I exclude Whatsapp from the SSL Inspector?

Now that I came across this issue, is there any other known/popular apps/websites that don't work well with this? Google.com worked fine after installing the certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by yelped View Post
    My question is, what my options are? Is there any way to fix it? Or can I exclude Whatsapp from the SSL Inspector?
    Look through the inspections in reports and find the sessions that were inspected that you don't want to inspect and add ignore rules for them. I'm assuming you enabled the "inspect all" rule which is why its inspecting that stuff.
    You will need to create many rules to ignore stuff that enabling that rule breaks.
    You may need to load up the certs to look at them in chrome of the server IP to see the cert so you can create the appropriate ignore rule.

Yes there are many apps that you will need exceptions for.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Thanks! I didn't change any default settings. I just enabled SSL Inspector.

Quote Originally Posted by yelped View Post
    Thanks! I didn't change any default settings. I just enabled SSL Inspector.
    what images and videos aren't showing up?
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by volunteers and community members like yourself.

Untangler

In Whatsapp. It won't load and will give an error saying it can't be loaded at this time. If I get off the WiFi it works.

You can try disabling the facebook rule as whatsapp is facebook now.

Untangler

Interesting. I'll try that when I get home later. It seems like no one uses SSL Inspector here? Otherwise we would have more first-hand experience with this, no?

Master Untangler

I use SSL Inspector, just not WhatsApp.

I can say, though, that disabling the Facebook rule works for Facebook apps (I don't have first hand experience, but I don't get complaints). But that rule relies on a certificate subject of "Facebook." So it'll matter what certificate subject is involved with WhatsApp.

Untangler

Ah, so it appears that there are still people who don't use Whatsapp....