Untangler

Question SSL Inspector + Android + Norton Mobile Security = wifi warning

Issue:
    I am using the Untangle SSL inspector app. I've installed the root certificates on my Android phone with no issue. Web pages contain no cert errors. However, my Norton Mobile Security app is giving me errors. It allows me to ignore or cancel to try and switch to a different wireless network. I have a laptop (on same wireless AP) with Symantec Security products that are not giving me this type of error. I've looked in the Norton Mobile app and I can turn off alerting for unsecure network alerts, but would like to keep that enabled as I travel abroad and will forget to re-enable it.

Norton Mobile Security Warning Message:
    Found compromised network. Attack type SSL Decrypting / Wi-Fi Security

Applications Used:
    Firewall: Untangle 14.2.2
    Norton Mobile Security 4.5.1.4423
    Phone: Android version 9
    Phone Manufacturer: Huawei

Notes:
    My Untangle firewall root certificate is installed on my android using the iphone instructions provided in the Untangle wiki. Works fine with this one exception. My webpages on my phone contain no cert errors.

Yes, this is exactly what SSL Inspection does. It decrypts SSL connections and therefore the warning.
    f1assistance likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Quote Originally Posted by jcoffin View Post
    Yes, this is exactly what SSL Inspection does. It decrypts SSL connections and therefore the warning.
    No, I should not be getting a warning when the root certificate is installed. (which it is) It works for all traffic except this wifi warning. I suspect Norton has some hard coded certificate settings where even though my root certs are installed, the norton product doesn't like it.

I wonder if anyone has purchased a real certificate for their Untangle systems in a home environment. Would love to hear if that's possible and if things works. I confess I don't know enough about SSL to easily figure that out or if this makes total sense.

Quote Originally Posted by propellherhead333 View Post
    No, I should not be getting a warning when the root certificate is installed. (which it is) It works for all traffic except this wifi warning. I suspect Norton has some hard coded certificate settings where even though my root certs are installed, the norton product doesn't like it.
    Most likely Norton is looking at list of registered Certificate Authorities and the one for your Untangle is not listed of course.

Quote Originally Posted by propellherhead333 View Post
    I wonder if anyone has purchased a real certificate for their Untangle systems in a home environment. Would love to hear if that's possible and if things works. I confess I don't know enough about SSL to easily figure that out or if this makes total sense.
    You can not purchase a Certificate Authority. Certificate Authority are used to encrypt. Each Untangle generates it's own for re-encrypting the HTTPS traffic. You can only purchase SSL certificates which are not the same.

Further reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certificate_authority
    f1assistance likes this.
    Attention: Support and help on the Untangle Forums is provided by
    volunteers and community members like yourself.
    If you need Untangle support please call or email support@untangle.com

Untangler

Sorry, that is what I meant... purchase and install a cert on my untangle appliance from a valid CA.

You can do so, but all you're removing the error on is https access to the Untangle itself. All of the SSL traffic bound for elsewhere is going to continue to throw errors, because that's what SSL does! It's not about encryption, it's about authentication. And your browser is informing you that someone has broken the chain, which is exactly what Untangle's SSL inspector does.

All of this is by design.
    Rob Sandling, BS:SWE, MCP
    NexgenAppliances.com
    Phone: 866-794-8879 x201
    Email: support@nexgenappliances.com